my one good thing

Summary: Natasha doesn't mind helping fix the Accords, but when James finally recovers his memories in Wakanda, she doesn't waste a second going to find him.

A/N: Italics represent Russian

The Accords are a mess. Ever since Leipzig, Natasha's been moving back and forth between the States and wherever Steve's taken to hiding with Wanda and Sam. Sometimes she stops by Wakanda, but there's not much time between her unofficial role as an ambassador and also being on the run. She may get into the States without difficulty, but that doesn't mean General Ross doesn't have a warrant out for her immediate arrest.

Tony's trying his best and Natasha knows this, but it doesn't make it easier. He depends on her to catch any loopholes he might miss or sway the UN with her words (from behind the scenes, of course. She is supposed to be underground). She doesn't mind helping Tony, though. In fact, it's a good distraction. The only problem is that Steve needs her too.

Despite his time at SHIELD, Steve's not as experienced as she is when it comes to hiding from some of the world's most powerful governments. She has to give him pointers every so often just so he doesn't get himself (and Sam and Wanda) caught.

And then there's the matter of James. James, who is currently in cryo in Wakanda while they work on his mind.

Everything is a mess and Natasha isn't surprised, but she's also quickly becoming exhausted and she's not sure how much longer she'll hold up. When T'Challa finally calls to say James is awake, she wonders if he knows how perfect the timing is.

"Are you sure you can't stay another day?"

Tony's only asking because they're getting so close to finally fixing this whole mess and he's worried something will go wrong. He knows she wouldn't leave if it wasn't important, even if she won't tell him why she suddenly has to leave tonight instead of three days from now.

Natasha tries not to sigh. "Yes, Tony."

He raises an eyebrow at her and she knows she did a poor job at hiding her exhaustion.

"Steve or Barnes?"

If Tony is able to read her that easily, it's well past time to take a break. Usually, she's better at hiding things from him than that even if Steve and James are the only two other people taking up her time.

"He's awake," Natasha tells him softly. Despite himself, Tony smiles.

It had been shortly after her return to help fix the Accords that she told him about her history with James. He'd been surprisingly understanding, but she'd taken care not to talk about James any further. Whether it was to protect her own past or to avoid dragging up the pain of his parents' death, Natasha didn't bother to figure it out.

"Go see him then," he says just as softly. "Call when you get there."

As usual, he sends her away on one of his jets. Almost as soon as she's onboard, she calls Steve.

He picks up after one ring. "Are you on your way?"

"Leaving the Compound now," she tells him. "Will you be there when I arrive?"

"We're already here."

Natasha frowns. How long has James been awake? She had only just received T'Challa's message, but if Steve is in Wakanda already, it can only mean one of two things: they were about to get caught or T'Challa hadn't called her immediately.

"Are you all alright?" she asks, deciding to start with the first option. It doesn't twist her gut as much as the thought of being left out.

"I was recognized in Lucerne," Steve says. She can't help but feel a little relieved. "We made it out though."