twinkling lights and fixed history

Summary: Somehow, they come to the decision to spend Christmas in Moscow. It becomes a tradition.

A/N: Italics represent Russian

She's not sure which one of them originally came up with the idea, but somehow it becomes concrete and solidifies into an actual plan.

It's the first Christmas after Thanos's defeat so everyone is a bit more excited than usual, but it's also the first Christmas she and James have ever had together. Outside of the Red Room. It's especially important to them, so why they decide Russia is the best place to spend it, Natasha doubts she'll ever know.

Nevertheless, they steal one of Tony's jets and fly from New York to Moscow, avoiding any visa requirements with a flash of their Russian passports.

They've hardly gotten to their hotel when Natasha's phone lights up and Tony demands to know why one of his jets is in Moscow and neither of them is at the Compound.

"I told you we should have told Tony," James mutters when she eventually hangs up.

"He's just being dramatic," Natasha says with a roll of her eyes. "Now get your jacket: I want kissel."

James laughs but does as instructed. A minute later, they're stepping out of their hotel and onto the busy streets of Moskva.

It doesn't take long to find kissel and as soon as Natasha has the warm drink in her hands, James leads them across Manezh Square towards that year's Christmas bauble. It seems bigger than normal, but neither of them has seen much of it in the past. It's only after an argument and a quick Google search that they find out the giant LED ball is claiming a new Guinness world record.

By the time Natasha finishes her drink, they're both hungry. James pulls them into a nearby restaurant and despite the crowd outside, they're quickly given a menu and allowed to order.

After their meal, they stroll across the square and admire the lights. Despite the public knowing the Winter Soldier is part of the Avengers, James still hides his metal arm, tucking his hand (and Natasha's) into his pocket as they walk.

"It's hard to imagine it like this," Natasha murmurs, staring up at the large tree in front of them.

"Christmas? Or Russia?" James asks, glancing down at her.

"Both."

Natasha doesn't take her eyes off the tree. She's never seen Christmas in Russia except on missions and she's not about to miss out on a second of it now. For some reason, the holiday seems different when she's not working during it.

"Yeah," James agrees softly.

They only leave the square when it starts to empty out. It's late―early, actually, considering it's nearly 2AM―but they take their time returning to the hotel. With the Christmas lights twinkling overhead, the city is more peaceful than Natasha has ever seen it.

They spend the next three days doing as many touristy things as possible. Natasha abuses Tony's credit card, but he never calls so they continue to treat themselves.

By the time they finally return to the Compound, arms full of Russian treats for Wanda, Peter, and Morgan, they've decided to make Christmas in Russia their own little tradition. If not because the country is more beautiful during the holiday, then because it's a way to claim back a bit of their history. As long as they bring back the good vodka, Tony doesn't complain.