Running Ragged

Summary: After a rough mission, James overworks himself and it isn't until he collapses in the gym that Natasha realizes what's going on.

A/N: Italics represent Russian

She should have noticed sooner. The signs had been there, she knew how to recognize them, but she had ignored them. Perhaps it wasn't entirely her fault―she tried to respect his privacy when he decided not to tell her something―but she had still accepted his excuses.

It had started after a failed mission the week before. Natasha hadn't gone with him, but she'd known that it hadn't gone well as soon as he returned. Being who he was, James didn't have any physical injuries aside from a few scattered bruises, but he'd had a nightmare for the first time in a while that night. When she asked, he said he couldn't remember it and insisted they both fall back asleep.

The following morning, he woke up earlier than usual and spent an extra hour in the gym. He went again in the evening and didn't come home until midnight.

"I'm fine, Nata," he promised, brushing a kiss to her brow and wrapping an arm around her as he climbed into the bed.

Four hours later, he woke up and went back to the gym.

By the third day, Natasha was worried. While she knew James was fully capable of running on a few hours of sleep, he had just returned from a mission and she knew he needed to rest. Instead of curling up beside her like he often did after missions, he spent more time at the gym.

Four days after his mission, Natasha doesn't see him at all. He's gone before she wakes up and isn't home by the time she goes to bed. She expects him to sleep in the following morning, but instead, she wakes up alone again and finds him in the gym.

"James."

He must not have heard her come up behind him because he startles at her voice. His wrist twists as it connects with the punching bag and even Natasha grimaces at the hit. It had to have hurt, but James doesn't let it show as he turns to face her.

"Good morn―"

"What are you doing?" she asks. She takes a step forward to run her hand through his hair. His forehead is already sticky with sweat. "You should be sleeping."

"No," he argues, "I should be training."

He tries to step away from her, but Natasha's arm around him tightens and she holds him in place. His eyes narrow.

"Natalia," he warns.

"Take a break, love," she tells him softly in Russian. Something in his eyes flickers and Natasha frowns. "Tell me what's bothering you."

He doesn't and after a bout of tense silence, Natasha nods.

"At least eat breakfast with me," she asks quietly. He agrees and they return to their floor to eat.

After that, they split ways with the promise of seeing each other again at dinner. For the first time in five days, Natasha thinks she might actually get to see him while the sun is up.

She's wrong, of course.

As dinner comes around, she waits for James to return home. She sets out a plate for him and sends him a text, asking when he'll be home. He doesn't respond.

Ten minutes go by before she panics. She tries calling, but it goes straight to voicemail. She's out the door before she tries calling him again.

It takes her a moment to think about where he could be, but she has a sinking suspicion she already knows. Before she checks anywhere else or calls Steve to send out a search party, she goes to the gym.