Chapter 2:

Everyone went quite, until the peacekeepers found the man who whistled, and shot him.

That's tough.

I couldn't believe my eyes. They had always been brutal, but not brutal enough to kill someone for whistling. I didn't get to see what happened next because I was being dragged into the building where I would say my goodbyes, and I didn't dare ask.

"Emma. Emma! Oh Emma! Why. Why you. I don't know what I'm going to do if you don't come back!" Sarah exclaimed, when she came to say goodbye to me. I hugged her.
"I don't know Sarah. Sometimes things happen for a reason." I said, "Anyway. I know how to fight. You can't count me out yet." I smiled a little.
She hugged me back, and started bawling. "I'm sorry Emma. I'm sorry. It's all my fault." Sarah said, weeping.
She's the type of girl to blame things on herself when something bad happens, and it breaks my heart.
"No, no. Don't say that." I said.  I lowered my voice, "It's the Capital's."
She looked at me and nodded.
Then the peacekeeper walked in and said it was time for Sarah to go. I gave her one last tight hug. "I do and I always will love you Sarah." I said.
She nuzzled her head into me. "Me to Emma. Me to."
And then the peacekeepers dragged her out. My eyes started to water but I wouldn't let the tears spill..... not now at least.
Next came my mom. She grabbed me and pulled me into a giant bear hug. "Emma. I told you something was going to happen. I told you!" She was crying.
I hugged her back. "I'm sorry mom. I really am." She is going to be a total reck. We have such a tight relationship. My eyes watered more, but once again I won't let them spill.
"It's not your fault." She said choking on her words. "I love you Emma."
"I love you to mom." I said.
We just stayed like that and hugged. "I already lost your father. I can't loose you to." My father was killed by a man who needed money. The man mugged my father, then killed him. That man was of corse publicly executed, but it will still never take away the pain on loosing my father.
"I know mom. I know." I really didn't know what to say. A few minuets later the peacekeepers came in. On her way out, being dragged by the peacekeepers, she yelled. "I believe in you Emma. You can win. Come home to us!" Then she was gone.
"Emma." John said running into the room, smashing me into giant hug.
"John." I said back.
"Oh Emma." There was nothing he could say I figured out, he was at a lost for words.
"I'm so sorry." He said.
I smiled slightly, "I've been getting a lot of those lately."
He smiled a little and I saw something I have never seen before in my big brother. Tears. I hugged him tighter, and he hugged me back.
"You can win. Promise me you will try to win. Promise me you won't give up. Promise me!!" He pleaded.
"I-" I started
"It's time to go." The peacekeeper said gruffly, coming in to drag John out.
"I promise!" I yelled right before the door closed.
There was a small pause before my best friend Jessica ran in. She's a year older then me, so I didn't see her at reaping. Well until now.
"Emma! I can't believe this! You! Of all people you! Why couldn't it have been someone else. Anyone else but you!" Jessica kept saying. I gave her a tight hug.
"It's okay Jessica. I'm going to be okay. You just need to promise me if I don't make it back-"
She cut me off. "No you are going to make it back. Don't say you aren't."
"Jess. You know I can't promise I will come back. It's a Quarter Quell. Anything can happen."
She let out a sob. "I know. I'm just going to miss you so much."
"I know. I'm going to miss you to. Just know if I can make it back, I want you to move on. Don't go into depression or anything like that." I commanded. We are like sisters. It's going to be just as hard on her as it is going to be on my family. Of coarse it will probably we the worst for Sarah, since she looks up to me, but Jess is a close second.  We are like twins. She might be a year older but we are the same height, like all the same things, and look quite a bit alike. For her it will be like loosing you're twin sister. That's why I'm being so tough on her. She's going to have the hardest time moving on. Sarah's young. Eventually she will move on, but Jess. It will be hard for her too.
"I- I'll tr-"
I cut her off. "No. You need to. You can't just try. You need to. If I die, I'm not coming back. You need to promise you will move on. Promise it!" I hated being stern with anyone. Especially her.
A tear fell from her eyes. "I- I promise."
I nodded and sighed, pulling her in for a hug. She hugged back and I could feel her tears on my back. No more then three minutes later the peacekeeper came in, and dragged her out.
I don't think anyone else will come. And anyway I'm probably out of tim for visitors.
I slumped down and let a tear fall.
----------
We loaded onto the train.
"Breath it all in." Janie said smiling. "This is your new life for a few days." I looked around.
"Where are our mentors?" I asked.
"Oh right. The mentors. They should be here in a moment. Before the get here, I'd like to quickly go over your schedule for the next few days. Today will be your train ride to the capital, along with watching the reruns of today's reaping. All threw out the trip you will be talking to your mentors about advice. Tomorrow morning there will be free time before we finally arrive in the Capital. It will be late, so you will have just enough time to see your outfit for tomorrow, and get ready. That following morning will be the Opening Ceremony. Then you will have time to get used to the Capital. Enjoy the luxury. The next day you will start training. You will have two days of that. On the third day will be your individual assessment. That evening the scores will be revealed. After that you will enter your last day before the arena. There you have free time until 4 o-clock and then the interviews begin. The crowd will get to meet you before you enter the arena. We want them to have one last look, after you know your strengths and weaknesses. It will be easier to answer the questions that way. At 6:15 the feast begins. The President will be there along with sponsors. The following morning at 9 am you will enter the arena."
After she finished explaining, a girl and a boy walked out. I'm guessing they were somewhere in there 30's or 40's, maybe?
"Hello I'm Kathy and this is Peter." The girl said, smiling. She seemed familiar, but I couldn't place it. Kathy had dark hair that was put into two braids. Peter had blond hair, that was combed. They looked familiar. Not like I knew them personally, but from somewhere. All I know is they are not a victor from District 1.
"You must be Emma and Justin, am I right?" Peter asked.
"Yes, sir." Justin replied. Smooth Justin. Just smooth.
"Well I'll be your mentor Justin." Peter said.
"And I'll be yours." Kathy finished pointing at me. "Well come on." She motioned, and I followed her. We walked into a room. "This will be your living courters Emma." Kathy said. All of a sudden a man stepped out. "Hello. I'm Luca. I'll be your stylist, and these." He pointed to three people in the background. "Are Faith, Autumn, and April. They are my assistants. And we are your prep team."
I nodded.
I was a little confused. I didn't think I was suppose to meet them until I got to the Capital, but I don't really pay attention to that stuff.
"Well it's about time for dinner. I'll let you settle in and then you can go ahead and join me." Kathy said, exiting the room.
"Well Emma. I know that you would probably rather wear your own clothes, but more than likely, part of you being on the train will be shown to the Capital, and then tomorrow when we arrive, the people at the Capital will see you exit the train, so I thought it would be smart to make you look good whenever they see you. It's your choice though, for this part." Luca said.
"Your the stylist. You know what's best." I said.
"Alright then. Faith, Autumn, April lets get started." He said and lead me over to the bathroom. They stripped me of clothes. At first I was a little self conscious, but I realized that they will be seeing me naked, so I didn't worry about it.
"Now just relax, and enjoy your beauty treatment." April said, smiling. I smiled back.
"Okay." I responded, and let them work. When they were done. I was in a really pretty, and really comfortable dress. I was gorgeous.
"Ekk!!" I heard from the other side of the room. I turned around and found Faith has squealed of happiness. I smiled, thanked them, and left to join for dinner.
"Took you long enough." Justin said with a sly smile.
"Oh I'm sorry." I said rolling my eyes. "I decided I wanted to look good." I looked him up and down, "Unlike you." I smirked and took my seat.
He seemed kind of happy with my comeback because he chuckled..... that was not the response I was hoping for. Dinner consisted of chicken, turkey, ham, pretty much all the types of meat, all the types of fruit and vegetables you could imagine and more, then you have all the things with carbs in it, and finally a gigantic desert. Which may I add I plowed down.
"Okay Justin. Let's go watch some of the previous years of the games." Peter said, after we had finished dinner.
"Sounds good Peter." Justin said getting up.
"Why don't we go too!" Kathy said to me.
I nodded.
"Well I may go as well. I'm sure it will be a blast!" Janie said getting up and skipping to the TV room.
Great the peppy princess, which is what I refer to Janie as, is joining us.

I did not enjoy the shows of past Hunger Games one bit. I don't like having to kill people, but Justin is the complete opposite. I can just tell he is going to be head of the Career pack. Every time someone was killed he was overjoyed with happiness. I could just see the bloodthirsty look in his eyes, and it gave me the chills. Knowing that he likes the idea of killing people. That just makes me sick, but there is nothing I can do about it.

By the time we finished watching the shows of past Hunger Games. It was 1:30 am. I was extremely tired.
"Well I'm going to go to bed. Goodnight." I said.
"That's sounds like a good idea, Em." Janie, aka the peppy princess, said. Oh great. Now she's calling me Em. I gave her the best fake smile I could manage and went off to bed.

My dreams were filled with nightmares of the horrors I had witnessed in the Games that I watched, but then reality dawned on me.
That is soon to be my horror.
-------
A/N
Hey guys. I just wanted to tell you. In this chapter pay close attention to some of the characters, because not everything, or in this case everyone, is at it seems.

There were hints in the chapter to what I'm talking about. Comment what you think they are!!