Chapter 10

I took a deep breath and loaded my bow. This has to be a perfect shot. All of the other Careers are watching me. So are the Gamemakers. I am the youngest Career anyway.
"Come on. You can do this." I said quietly to myself.
I took one more deep breath, and released to arrow. It missed the bullseye by less then a inch.
I cursed under my breath.

Hey, if I'm going to be a Career, I've got to play the part.

I looked back to see Justin nod his head, saying it was okay. I loaded my bow again, aimed,
and shot.
It it the target with a bang. I looked around, a giant smile on my face.
"Great job. Let's go try something else." Justin smiled.
As we were walking I head Sundai mumble to Diamond, "She's not that good. I don't know what Justin is so excited about." Well she's not as friendly now as she was when I first joined the pack...
Diamond laughed. "Your only saying that because she's better then you with a bow, and she's younger."
Sundai mumbled something, and looked back at me, glaring.
Well I have one enemy on my own team. Yippee.

"Alright, Justin. Aim, and you'll make it." The instructor said to Justin.
"Just shut up! I know what I'm doing, and I don't need your help!" Justin snapped back.
The instructor sighed. "Do what you wish."
Justin grinned, aimed, and shot. He hit the target perfectly.
"Perfect!" The instructor exclaimed.
He looked at her, with a raised eyebrow. "I told you I knew what I was doing."
She smiled, it was forced. "I know."

After a good hour and a half of working with Justin, the Careers decided to do some fighting with the dummies. I wanted to start with a dummy that wasn't moving, but of corse the other Career's wanted to use moving. I couldn't be the only one without a moving dummy.
All of us had to go into different rooms to fight, so we all parted different ways.
My room was a good sized room, but I wished it was a little smaller. It would be much easier to fight that way.
"Alright Emma" the instructor said from a room up above.
"I'm sure one dummy is to easy for you, so I'll give you to. They will shut down once you have hit them hard to enough to kill and actual person. We've had it tested on how much a person can take before they die, and programmed it into the dummies."
Wow. That's just low. They tested out long it takes to kill a person.
I forced a smile. "Okay. Sounds good."
I took a deep breath. I could do this.
Looking at the two dummies I saw one has a axe, and the other had a spear.
"Alright. Starting in 3... 2... 1..."
The two dummies in front of me bursted to life. I dodged and rolled and ducked. The dummies were coming at me so fast I hardly had time to load my bow.
Finally when it was loaded, I quickly aimed and shot, hitting one dummy right where a human heart would be. The dummy automatically shut down. I looked around for the other one, and didn't see it. That's until I felt something like styrofoam hit my head. Rubbing the back of my head, I quickly turned around to see a fake axe laying on the ground, and the other dummy. It started coming at me, but was quickly shut down.
"If that had been a real axe, it would have cut your head in two. You would be dead." A voice said over the intercom. "You killed one, but got killed by the other. Not bad for your first time. Let's start it back up and try again."
I took a deep breath as both dummies came to life, and went back to where they first stood. They changed the weapons of the dummies. This time one had a sword while the other had throwing knives. I guess I'll have to take out the one with throwing knives first, because he doesn't have to be close to me to hit me. Last time both dummies could thrown their weapons, and that put me at a disadvantage. I also wasn't worried about what weapons they had. Just killing them. I should have had a game plan.
This time only one has a long ranged weapon, so I need to go for that one first. That's my game plan.
"Starting in 3... 2... 1..."
And once again the dummies bursted to life. This time I was ready. I had loaded a bow before the dummies came to life, and I shot. It hit the dummy with the throwing knives where a human brain would be. The dummy immediately shut down. Now I had one to go. I quickly loaded my bow, and started looking for the second dummy. I found it and it charged at me. It wasn't far from me so it gave me about two seconds to aim and fire. Luckily my reflexes were good, and I hit the dummy where a human neck would be before it stabbed it's sword at me.
The dummy shut down.
"Great job Emma. You killed both dummies on your second time. That's absolutely amazing." The instructor said.
I smiled. "Thank you. I think I'm to go meet up with my team now."
"Sounds good! See ya later Emma!" The instructor exclaimed.
"Yeah see ya later." I mumbled. I wasn't planning on coming back today. Or ever.
"Now where to next?" Diamond asked once we were all together.
"I don't know. Let's go to survival." Librit suggested.
"Uh no. That is no fun at all. Weapons is. So let's do something more." Justin said. They all nodded, not wanting to argue with him.
Katniss was right, all they worry about it weapons. Not survival, which would be smart.
"I'm going to go off on my own for a little bit." I told them. I needed to get a little bit of survival, even if they don't want to.
"Whatever. We'll be somewhere around here." Justin said.
"Why don't we all just split up for a while?" Edward asked.
Justin sighed. "Fine. Meet at the door in an hour. Then we'll head off to dinner. I'm talk with someone and see if we can come back later to practice more."
I nodded, along with the other, and we all went our separate ways.
I don't want to come back tonight, so I guess I'll just make up something, like I'm sick.
I walked over to the survival station.
"Hello." The instructor said. I was at a berry area that tells what berries are good to eat and what are not.
"Hi." I smiled.
"Well let's get started. There's not much time before training is over. But with your being a Career, I'm sure you'll be back!" The instructor beamed.
"Actually I'm not feeling so hot tonight. I think I'll get a good nights sleep tonight instead of coming back." I replied. Yeah. I'm going to go with that.
"Oh well that's a shame." The instructor replied, not as happy.
I just shrugged it off.
"Anyway. That means we really don't have a lot of time. Let's get moving. Anyway this is called Pansitm. It's a deadly plant, and if you eat it, you will be dead with in the next hour. No cure." She started.
"Well..... That sounds pleasant." I joked.
"Oh yes. Definitely." The instructor laughed back.
"Anyway the plant isn't hard to spot, but it looks exactly like Ingiam. Which is a plant which fills you up as if you are eating a full apple every time you eat three. The only way to tell the difference is the shade. Pansitm is a shade darker than Ingiam. It's hard to tell difference. If I were you, I would avoid both of these because I wouldn't take the chance, but that's you're call." I nodded.
The instructor pointed to a new plant. "This is and Fritian. Fritian is poisonous, but it can be reversed by eating the leaves of an Oak tree, which I'm sure you know." I nodded again. "Yes I know what and Oak tree looks like."
The instructor pointed out a few different plants, but nothing really stood out and before I knew it, training was over.
The other Careers and I met up, and we all filed out of the Training Center, with small chit chat going on. I was okay with everything until Diamond pointed out how close the arena is. How it's almost time to enter The Hunger Games.
That brought my happiness down big time, and the rest of the night, including dinner, was all a blur.
The next thing I really remember is laying in bed, thinking. I was thinking about how close I am I entering the arena. How there is no more training. Tomorrow is the Individual Assessments, where I need to impress the judges if I want sponsors.
I don't know if I will do good or not. I honestly don't, and it is such a worry too. I need to do good, but with the pressure I'm afraid I'm going to mess up.
So many thoughts raced through my mind that I didn't even realize when I fell into a deep sleep, dreaming of tomorrow.