The taste of coffee

Set after the post leap dinner episodes in season 1.

"Here is your coffee." Dev handed the cup to Sonakshi and settled down next to her. They had an hour to kill, as they waited for Suhana's ballet class to get over.

"Thank you." She took a tiny taste and smiled.

"This is nice. I missed having coffee." He watched her sip her coffee, blowing on it gently. Dev had never imagined these little things would be the ones he would miss so bitterly, these little moments brought the most happiness in his life.

"You never had coffee all these years?" Sonakshi was incredulous.

"I did, but it didn't taste the same." He looked at the traffic. What was it about sitting with her and having coffee? Even the traffic, the pollution seemed like they were sitting in a garden, amid scented flowers.

"What does that mean? Coffee is coffee. Why will it taste different?" Sonakshi persisted. How can anyone not have coffee!

"It does. You know, that day, at dinner, you said that you tried to make something like the garden in your house in Kolkata, but didn't get the same feel. Right? I also tried to have coffee, Sonakshi. But it didn't taste the same."

The awkward silence was heavy. Is this how their life was going to be now? Little moments weighed down by regret?