My Moon, My Pride

This drabble is set in the kitchen after Ishwari thanks Sona for convincing Neha to wear Ranveer's bridal lehenga. (S1, Ep 94). Ishwari's POV. 

******************************************************************************

Ishwari watched Sonakshi leave and then poured herself a glass of water. She couldn't shake off the giant wave of discomfort that was engulfing her.

She had come to know that it was Sonakshi who had talked to Neha and convinced her to wear the bridal dress sent by her fiance's Ranveer's family. While she was relieved that such a huge burden had been taken off her chest and an unnecessary drama in front of prospective in-laws had been avoided, another uncomfortable feeling had taken the place of where satisfaction should have been.

She had been under the impression that Sonakshi had talked to Neha as her friend, but apparently no. Sona just revealed that she had only talked to Neha because Mr. Dixit had told her to.

Dev. 

Dev had asked Sonakshi to talk to Neha. A nagging suspicion was taking root in her heart.

Her sister-in-law had been telling her about the increasing proximity between Dev and Sonakshi but she had brushed her away. Her son was her pride, her everything. She didn't need others to tell her about him.

But Dev had gone to Sonakshi and confided this issue in her? Why? Because she was his employee? Or because they were friends? Or more, as she feared?

Ishwari immediately shook that thought away. No way. If there was anything else, Dev would tell her. He would never hide anything from her. Certainly not something this huge. Even if he was hesitant, she prided herself on being able to read her son's face, his heart like an open book.

The pesky doubt knocked at her senses again. Could she, really? She had seen them together before the sangeet, looking into each other's eyes. She had immediately intervened and dragged Sonakshi away because she certainly did not want to encourage such interactions, such behavior. Later, she had seen Dev dancing with her at Neha's sangeet. Nikki had commented that they looked so lost in each other. Ishwari certainly did not appreciate Nikki's observation. Perhaps because she could see that Nikki was right. Dev and Sonakshi looked like the rest of the world did not matter to them. Later, after the function, she had seen Dev teasing and playing with her. She had never seen her son behave like this with any other girl. That really bothered her.

Could it be true? Was he talking on the phone yesterday late night with her? He said it had been a friend. Did he lie to her?

No. Her heart told her. It's not true.

Another memory came knocking. Dev drinking the turmeric milk because Sona had asked him to. No. That was because she was a doctor, her mind reasoned. Is it so? Her heart questioned. He had asked Sonakshi to accompany him to buy a saree for her birthday. No. He knew she liked to go with him, spend time with him. It must have been the girl, she must have somehow inserted herself in this tradition. Her heart refused to assign any blame to her son. He was like the moon, perfect in all ways.

The conviction in her own mind was a bit less and that scared her. It scared her that her son trusted an outsider enough to talk about their personal family problems with her.

It scared her even more that it wasn't just her son, but her stubborn, obstinate daughter was also easily convinced by this outsider girl? Neha had refused to listen to anyone about the bridal dress, then how was she persuaded by Sonakshi to change her mind? How was Sonakshi getting close to all of them? Nikki loved her, Dev seemed to value her opinions more and more, and now Neha also. She and Neha, her own daughter have always had a very contentious relationship. She tried to be an understanding mother, but Neha nurtured a soreness about her and Dev's bond. She loved Neha with all her heart but there was nothing she could do to bridge the gap and hoped this marriage will make her soften a little towards her mother. But somehow Sonakshi was able to reach Neha, and bond with her.

Should she be worried about this? About Sonakshi slowly ingratiating herself into their family? Was there something between her Dev and Son....

No. How could she even think like this? Only yesterday Dev had proved that nothing was more important to him than his mother, by remembering her medicines even in the middle of the wedding preparations. The whole world may tilt in its axis, but for her Dev, she would always come first. Not some random girl who works for him. How silly of her to even think like this. It's probably because her sister-in-law just put the thought in her head. She should be careful not to let her words get inside her head.

Ishwari finished her water, rinsed the glass out and started upstairs to get ready for her daughter's wedding. This was such a special bittersweet moment, her little Neha was getting married. She needed to focus on the preparations for the guests and not anything else that would bother her heart.

Certainly not Sonakshi.