Building bridges (Part 1)

This is set after the dinner episodes, post leap S1. 

****************************************************************************

Dev watched Sonakshi explain the benefits of bulgar wheat in diet to his mother. Nothing unusual about that. Sonakshi was always explaining health related stuff to everyone around her. However, what was unusual was the way his mother was paying attention to Sonakshi and this new information, especially food-related. Kitchen and Food related topics were his mother's forte and she rarely listened to anyone about them, always believing that she knew better. Things had changed a little when Sonakshi was Ma's nutritionist. She had started to like her and listen to her advice. All of it went for a toss later on.

Now, she was listening with utmost concentration, all the while looking at Sonakshi with adoration. It warmed his heart, he had always wanted this, that his mother would accept and love Sonakshi as much as him, but  it hadn't happened. And Ma resented Sonakshi even more after their marriage broke. But now, there was a distinct difference in how she was viewing Sonakshi. He had heard her apologize to Sonakshi at dinner the other day and Sonakshi also admitted that she made some mistakes too. They both had made their peace with each other.

All the little pieces of the puzzle were falling in place. Ma and Sonakshi were on good terms, Suhana was the light of the family, the Boses were being nice and cordial with him and his family. But the big piece was still unfinished. Sonakshi and his own relationship. The puzzle yet to be completed.

They were in a state of limbo right now. Dev knew he was in love with her, no doubt about it. His heart sped up every time she came in his line of vision. In fact, he had already confessed his feelings but she had refused him in no uncertain terms. Since then, they had settled into a zone of friendship, easy and comfortable. But it was hard to give up the hope for more, since he knew very well she felt the same way about him. But he also knew she was scared. She was scared of being hurt again, and that is why she didn't want to entertain this idea of them together. So, he needed to persist, and slowly get rid of this fear that held her back.

The first step was covered. His mother was genuinely adoring Sonakshi. Now he needed to show Sonakshi he will be waiting for her, and she can take as much time as she needs. No doubt, it was frustrating, being 'buddies' because there were too many times when all he wanted was to grab her in his arms and kiss her senseless. But no, he would sit there and pretend to laugh at some titbit she would be narrating. But things had started to change between them a couple weeks ago and Dev could feel them take a stride together.

They had been playing Ludo with Suhana and Golu until late night and the children had fallen asleep. They both continued to play, and talk. The conversation turned to how Suhana speaks both Bengali and Hindi well. "It's easy for children to learn multiple languages Dev. They pick it up easily."

"Unlike adults?" He questioned what she left unsaid.

"Yes. I am not saying adults cannot learn new languages, but its easier as a child."

"You bet. I am not sure of Bengali at all. I have only picked up a couple words here and there from you."

"Well, that is entirely on you." She laughed.

"Speaking of Bengali, what does Jatin tell you when he meets you? Ami tumake bhalo bhaashi? What does that mean?"

She was quiet for a moment. Then she replied, "I love you."

The tension was thick enough to be cut with a knife. She wasn't meeting his eyes, moving pieces constantly for no reason. Those were the three words he was dying to hear from her, but he knew she wasn't telling it to him. He had heard it before from her lips and this wasn't the melody in his ears.