The Lost Years (Part 6)

Dev and Sonakshi's seven year separation story continued here....

***********************************************************************************************

Dev flipped his hair, scrutinizing his reflection in the mirror carefully. Faded blue jeans, black tee and a black leather jacket. He hadn't shaved in a couple days. Should he? No. He was The Dev Dixit, he didn't need to clean up for some date. He was fine as he was.

His phone buzzed, signaling a text from Reya, his current girlfriend. "Dev!! Are you on your way? I am sooooooo excited to see you!! Muah!!" Followed by a multitude of heart emojis.

Dev rolled his eyes, typing out a reply with a sigh. "Yes."

"I can't wait!!!!! In the meantime, here is a pic of me to keep you company!" Came the instant reply. The picture was of her legs sheathed in nude stockings and high heeled ankle strapped shoes. A picture that wasn't quite one.

The non-picture photo immediately transported him to another time in another world, when he was a different man madly in love with a girl. A girl who sent him pictures of her bangle, of her earrings, making him restless and eager to see her in person. His insistence that she send him a proper pic and her teasing refusal all day long, eventually making an appearance in a pink saree. He could have drowned in her right there. She had looked more beautiful than he had ever imagined. More so, when she wore his gift, a gajra.

He glanced at this photo from this girl, searching for the same excitement, but failing to find any. He threw his phone on the bed and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He shouldn't expect the same excitement, right? He wasn't the same man now, hadn't been that man since a long time. That girl from his long-gone past had nearly broken him, but he survived. Not just survived, he had thrived. He was living his life on his conditions now. It's never been better. Life was good.

His phone buzzed again, indicating another text. Probably Reya again. Damn, she was annoying. Weren't they going to spend the evening together? Did she have to be so needy? He grabbed the phone ready to explode, but stopped. It wasn't her.

It was Golu. His little champ.

He couldn't help the instant smile, as he checked the text. It was a picture of Golu's latest drawing. The childish artwork was hard to decipher. Was that a tree? Or a cupcake? Okay, Golu was in love with Paw Patrol, so maybe it was one of those pups? Dev tilted his phone, to the left, then to the right but to no avail, when it rang. The number flashing was his uncle's.

"Namaste Mamaji."

"Dev beta, Golu wants to talk to you. Hold on."

"Big Cha?"

"Hi Champ!" Dev sat down, grinning wide. The childishness of his language and his voice always got him. No matter what, his mood uplifted instantly.

"Did you get my drawing?" Immediately came the question.

"Yes, it's so good! You are an artist, you know! Like Van Gogh!" Dev cheered him enthusiastically.

"What was it?" The little man asked suspiciously.

Dev checked the drawing again quickly. Should he say cupcake? "Uhhhh a tree? It was a tree. It was so tall and so good!!" It was a long shot. There was complete silence on the other end and he could almost see the frown on Golu's face.

"You are lying and my Mumma says lying is bad, Big Cha." Golu pronounced.

"What? How do you know I am lying?" Dev whined, sounding hurt and indignant, but thoroughly enjoying the conversation.