Post-The Big Reveal

This one-shot is set the morning after Dev reveals his relationship with Sona to his mother. His sisters find out and want to know details. Dev goes to work after running into Sona and Sona goes inside (Ep 115, S1). I wrote this little piece imagining Nikki and Sona meeting that morning. Nikki and Sona always had a special relationship and I had been eager to see their interaction after the big reveal. Unfortunately, the makers skipped that part and went straight to Ishwari. 

I hope I have explained exactly when this little one-shot is set. I hope you all enjoy reading it!

***************************************************************************************

Sonakshi waved as Dev pulled out of the parking lot and made her way inside his house, swallowing her nervousness.

It was the first time she was going to meet Ishwari Auntyji, after Dev had revealed their relationship to her. She hadn't been able to sleep all night, tossing and turning, annoying Elena terribly in the process. But finally, the moment had arrived. She had to go in.

No one was in the living room. Sona let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding. She quickly crossed the foyer and had barely made it to the kitchen when she heard the scream. "SONA DI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before Sonakshi could react and turn towards the noise, the tornado named Nikki came running towards her, grabbing her by the shoulders and spinning her around until she was dizzy.

"Nikki, oh my goodness!" Sonakshi exclaimed, as she held on to the nearby chair for support, waiting for the dizziness to pass.

"Sona Di!! This is so unfair! How could you hide this from me?! ME? Your friend?"

"Hide? Uhhh.. what did I hide, Nikki? And why would I hide anything? I don't have anything to hide. Only criminals hide what they do." Sona finished, desperate to find a way out of this. She had been so focused on how to face Dev's mother that she had completely forgotten his sisters, especially Nikki.

"Oh, so what you did is a crime then?"

"I don't know what you are talking about! What crime, what did I do?" Sona had dug too deep a hole pretending ignorance to acknowledge anything to Nikki now.

"Oh come on Sona Di! You know I am talking about you and Dev bhaiyya! You never told me he was your boyfriend!" Nikki pouted, huffingly.

Boyfriend. The word still brought a smile to her lips. It is all so unreal even now. Dev was her boyfriend.

"Okay, now you are smiling to yourself and blushing." Nikki stated hard facts to her. "Now as cute as that is, how could you hide something this big from me?! I am not going to forgive you easily." She folded her hands across her chest, scowling at her.

"Okay okay okay! Nikki, I am so sorry! I should have told you, after all, you are my friend! Please, will you forgive me?" Sona held her ears, hoping that would do the trick and Nikki would let her off the hook.

"Hmmm, you have to pay for this."

"Okay, whatever you say. You want me to play badminton with you today or watch a movie? You know what, let's watch Student of the Year together again and check out Siddhu baby! Okay?" Sonakshi tried to pull out all the cards to pacify Nikki. Siddhu baby was the trump card.

"No." Came the answer.

"No? You don't want to check out Siddharth Malhotra? Nikki, are you feeling okay?" Concerned, Sonakshi put her palm on Nikki's forehead to check out her temperature. Nikki never said 'No' to ogling Sid Malhotra!

Nikki pushed her hand away. "Sona Di! I am fine! And we can watch the movie later. But first I want to hear all about your love story! You have to tell me how you proposed to Dev bhaiyya!"

"Nikki, what is there to say, all that is.....Wait. What? Excuse me, what did you say? How I proposed to Dev? Who told you that? Why would you assume, I was the one who proposed?!" Sonakshi stared at Nikki.

"Dev bhaiyya told us how he is so shy and doesn't know how to express his feelings, he is not good at that. So obviously, that means you proposed to him, right?"

"Did he say that?" Sonakshi couldn't believe what she was hearing. Did he escape the interrogation from his sisters, leaving her to take the fall? Not fair, Mr. Dixit!

"Well, not exactly, but he didn't say 'No' either. So anyways, come on, you have to tell me about your proposal now. I won't let you go until then, Sona Di! Riya Di also wanted to be here to meet you and hear everything, but she had to go to work. So you can tell me and I will narrate it all to her. And please, don't make it sound like some lecture. I want to know all the interesting details, how, when, where, what did you wear, when did you first know, when did you decide to reel in my bhaiyya... everything." Nikki settled herself on the table, munching on a bowl of chips, as if waiting in the theater for her favorite movie to begin.

But before Sonakshi could say another word, Ishwari Auntyji walked over to them. "Nikki, don't trouble her, let her do her work. You come with me, I need to measure you again to fix that dress you want to wear."

"Ma, but can't we do that later? Please....." Nikki protested.

"Nikki." 

Auntyji walked away, giving her a small smile, and Nikki followed suit, looking downcast. No one could argue with Ishwari Auntyji much. 

Sonakshi stood there watching them go, her heart pounding at the sight of Dev's mother, feeling a little unsure. She had been very nervous about meeting her since last night, wondering how Auntyji would react, what she would say. After all, her acceptance was crucial for their relationship to move forward. But here, Auntyji didn't say anything. Was that good or bad? Sonakshi had no idea. But Dev had assured her that his mother had always supported him, his every decision. He also had said last night that she was happy knowing about their relationship and that she liked her. Maybe she was worrying unnecessarily. She needed to stop overthinking and focus on her work. She tried to think about what Auntyji would like to eat for lunch. Koftas. Yes, Auntyji always loved koftas. She could get them made in the air fryer and it won't be unhealthy for her.

She decided to check with Bhola Bhaiyya if all the ingredients were available and then go upstairs to confirm with Auntyji. She prayed this day go well.