The Lost Years (Part 7)

This is a delayed update, and this is also the final part of this venture into Devakshi's seven years of separation. 

*******************************************************************************

"Shona, are you absolutely sure about moving to Delhi?" Asha's voice was filled with worry. Delhi had become a very uncomfortable topic in their family.

Sonakshi had to alleviate all their concerns about her Delhi visit. "Ma, don't worry. Jatin and I talked about it and it makes sense to us. I have to go and sort out the problem in person. I cannot leave it to anyone else." She wished her answer would be sufficient so her mother wouldn't feel the need to discuss this in detail right now. But she realized she would never be able to sidestep her mother, when Asha asked her next question, bluntly. "What about Dev?"

Sona stopped in her tracks, frozen. "What about him?" Her heart had started to beat faster now.

"What if you run into him?"

"Ma, Delhi is big metropolitan city. What are the chances of running into him? Don't worry, I won't." She hoped her voice held enough nonchalance, so the topic of Dev Dixit will be dropped without any perusal.

"Maybe you should?" Her mother questioned gently.

Sonakshi flared up instantly. "Why? Didn't he say he didn't want to meet me? The only reason I will meet him is if Soha says she wants to meet her father. I will never deny her that."

Asha was well aware of the raw nerve she was touching. She backed off, with a placating nod, "Ok, I am sure you and Jatin know what you are doing. Go ahead, finish your work and come for dinner."

Sonakshi watched her mother leave the room and quickly got up to lock the door. Settling back down on her bed, she snuck her hand slowly under the pillow, pulling out the special magazine she had purchased at a bookstore that day. She wanted to look at it in complete privacy, without anyone's eyes on her.

Dev Dixit was on the cover.

She stared at the picture, absorbing every little detail she could gleam from the photo.

Dev looked very handsome, like a model. He had grown a beard now. His hair seemed silkier. He was wearing faded blue jeans, a hugging white tee and a black jacket. A long blue scarf was draped casually around his neck, making his entire outfit so chic. She wondered if the stylish, trendy look was the influence of the fashion designer in his arms. Sonakshi turned her eyes towards the woman in the photo, her arms around Dev's waist, looking up at him adoringly. They were both smiling at each other. The speculation in the article was that the woman was his latest girlfriend.

Latest.

Sonakshi had been following Dev and his escapades in these past few years. It was so hard not to. He was like a drug that she needed to quit and she had, for most intents and purposes. But in the dark of the night, in the privacy of her room, it was a little indulgence she allowed herself. It was almost masochistic, but also a much-needed relief for her aching heart. She read and collected articles of him, about his latest business ventures, his acquisitions, his company's expansion and new branches. She also read about his personal life and those Page 3 articles about the women he was dating. Sonakshi still remembered the first time she had seen a picture of Dev with another woman. It had been a glamorous model, stunningly beautiful. They looked so perfect for each other and Sona hadn't been able to look away. She had realized that she was crying when she saw wetness on the picture. 'Is it that easy, Dev, to replace me? That's all I meant to you? All those declarations of love? We break up and you just find yourself another girl?' She had sobbed, hurling all her complaints and devastation, pouring out her resentment at the photograph.