From hurt to healing (Part 2)

Continuing my story with this relatively short update. I have incorporated some of the show's bits, as we build up to the next part. Hope my readers enjoy this. And thank you for reading, even though I am not updating as frequently as I would like! 

*********************************************************************************************

Dev started his car, his bleeding heart getting smeared with the color of betrayal even as his brain retaliated with denial. This couldn't be happening. His mother disliked Sonakshi so much that she orchestrated all this? Paid a marriage broker to get Sonakshi married to some guy? His Sona? He didn't want to confront his mother but couldn't help it, overcome by his own devastation. She gave some unconvincing explanation, but nothing could heal this pain.

His mother was the reason that man was in his Sona's life. And that was the bitter truth.

His Sona. He needed to stop thinking of her as his. No, she wasn't his anymore. She was going to be engaged to Ritwik in a couple days. Hell, she even had invited him to the function. He had fully expected her to deny him, but Sona had always been strong. He asked himself if he had it in him to go to her engagement? To see her become someone else's forever? To see all of his own dreams crushed mercilessly? Especially in the wake of the revelation that all this was the doing of his own mother?

No. Even if he himself asked to be invited and she did invite him, Dev knew he won't go. He wasn't strong enough to see her going away from him one more time. He hadn't quite recovered from the pain of seeing her walk away from him in the hospital. The way she had said, Goodbye Mr.Dixit. He hated it when she called him that, it made him feel so alienated from her. He couldn't go through that again, see her walk towards her new life, away from him.

She had already gone away from him, his mind reminded him.

He reached his office and locked the door behind him, telling Tina to hold his calls and messages. He needed a moment. Opening his day planner, he pulled out a photo. He and Sona at the dance. He was holding her close, looking deep into her eyes. How gorgeous she looked. He picked up his phone and scrolled to her number, wanting to block her but holding on for one more second.

He never knew when the sun set.

Sonakshi looked at her family, waiting for their reactions. She thought the conversation with Ritwik would be a difficult one, but he was so understanding and supportive. He had told her to take as much time she needed. They had agreed to postpone the engagement for a few months. Right now, she waited tensely for the rest of her family to respond to her news.

Her father was the one who broke the silence. "Why?"

"No reason Baba. Ritwik and I just wanted to take some time to get to know one other, that's all. Also, he wants his clinic to be up and running before the wedding."

"Are you sure there is no other reason, Shona?" The question and its implication were not lost on her. Before she could respond, her mother cut in. "Bijoy, they are the ones who are going to be married. If they both want to take some time, that is fine. They aren't refusing the alliance, are they now?"

Bijoy Bose sighed. "Yes of course, you are right. Okay then. As long as you are happy, my dear." He smiled at his daughter.

Dev looked at the bracelet Tina had left with him. Sonakshi's bracelet. An ornament that adorned her slender wrist. He ran his finger slowly over it, savoring the feel of it. Never will he get the chance to hold her things in his hand again.

Today was the day Sonakshi was getting engaged to Rithwik. The dawning of this day seemed like fresh hell to him. But he needed to get through this.

Getting a gift box, he placed the bracelet in it and closed it, its memory forever in his mind. Opening a fresh sheet of paper, he started writing:

Ms. Bose, I am addressing you by this name for the very last time. After today, I probably won't have the courage to even call you by name. After today, you won't be related to me in any way. You are going be someone else's. I know I won't have the right to remember you or have any of your memories in my heart. That is why I am returning the last of your things left with me. Today I can ask for your forgiveness. I can congratulate you. Please try and forget all the pain I have given you. I want to tell you that I wish all the happiness for you.

Yours,

He wiped the tears that were drenching the sheet and folded it into an envelope. He had already gone to the florist and picked out a selection of red roses that he knew she loved a lot. Tucking it between the flowers, he called Tina in. "Send all that to Dr. Bose." He stared out the window, not turning to look at his secretary.

He knew he would be getting completely drunk this evening.

Two days had passed since Sonakshi's engagement. Dev knew he was at his lowest ever, spending most of the day inebriated, but pretending to be unaffected, so his mother won't worry. He checked Sonakshi's Facebook profile once again. Nothing. There was nothing there. No pictures, no updates. Her profile status hadn't changed to 'engaged'. What would he gain by seeing them anyways? He hoped that perhaps seeing her with her fiancé would propel him to move on as well, he told himself. Did she really get engaged to that guy? Would she really marry him and forget all the love they had for each other? He wondered what was more painful: that she would be another man's wife, or that she would erase him from her memory? He took another swig from the bottle he had opened just a little while ago, when there was a knock on his door.

It was Tina. With a giant bouquet of red roses that were starting to wilt. The ones he had sent for Sonakshi's engagement.

"What is this?" He wasn't sure he wanted the answer. Had he become that much a stranger that she had returned his flowers? Or was it because she hated him now? Or maybe Mr. Fiancé had decided that they can't accept gifts from exes. Who knows, it could be her father also.

"Sir, Dr. Bose returned the flowers." Tina stated the obvious.

He sniffed his annoyance away. "I see. Could she be troubled enough to provide a reason?" He tried to squelch the hurt, but it crept out anyway. How could she return his flowers? It was just a wish for her new life.

"She sent a note." Tina handed a little envelope to him.

"You may go." Dev sat down in his chair and opened the envelope. It had two letters. First was his own, the one he had written to her, wishing her on her engagement. He opened the second one. It was a note from her, he recognized her handwriting.

Mr. Dixit, thank you for your beautiful gifts. You had sent them as a present for my new journey. But my engagement has been postponed and we don't have a date fixed for it yet. I cannot accept your presents for it. And so, while I am glad to get my bracelet back, I am returning the bouquet as well as your letter.

She hadn't signed off, leaving it blank.

Dev stared at the letter again. It didn't happen? She didn't get engaged to Ritwik? He didn't even realize that a smile had broken out on his face.