Anticipation

This one-shot is set during Dev and Sonakshi's dating period (S1) when their relationship was not known to their families. This was requested by several of my readers, so I hope they all enjoy this little piece of my writing!

***************************************************************************************

Sonakshi was restless. She was getting Auntyji's breakfast ready, but her mind was distracted. Her eyes kept drifting to the entrance. It was Friday. Dev was supposed to return today from his overseas trip early morning, but his flight had gotten delayed. She had been tracking his plane, refreshing the page a thousand times, to see where he was. The tracker said that his airplane had landed an hour and a half ago and Sonakshi was eager to see him walk through the door. She adjusted the dupatta of her orange-colored salwar suit. She had particularly worn it today. For him.

Dev had gone on his work trip only for five days, but it seemed like an eternity. She hadn't realized how much they had grown closer. Meeting him every evening was the highlight of her day, spending time with him, sipping coffee, holding hands, hugging him. So, the last five days had dragged on like a never-ending prison sentence.

He had called her from the airport, before boarding the flight, sounding tired from the jet lag as well as constant meetings. "I can't wait to be back. I miss you." He had said. She felt the same way. "I will be waiting. I miss you too."

Her thoughts were interrupted by Ishwari Auntyji's voice. "Nikki, check if Dev's flight has landed." His mother asked his sister.

It has. He should be home anytime now, Sonakshi wanted to tell her, but remained quiet. They weren't ready to reveal their relationship to anyone yet. It was their private joy right now.

"You know, Nutrition, Dev is coming back today! He must be so tired and hungry. I always make all of his favorite foods when he returns back from a trip." Auntyji's fingers were shelling peas with an admirable speed, but her thoughts were on her son. She loved to talk about Dev with her, telling her about how he was, how much he worked, how he took care of their family. Little did she know how much Sonakshi loved hearing all this about him. But not today. Today, she was distracted, awaiting his arrival, her eyes fixed on the entrance. No, he wasn't here yet.

"I am also making his favorite halwa." Auntyji snapped her fingers in front of Sonakshi's face. "Nutrition, aren't you listening to me? What are you looking at the door for? Are you also expecting someone?"

"No.. No, sorry Auntyji. I was just thinking of something else. That's all." Sonakshi stammered, turning her attention back to her notes.

"He barely gets to eat over there, you know. That kind of food, it's not his preference. I packed him parathas, so he won't be hungry. But it is nothing like eating fresh, don't you think? My Dev. He doesn't like any other food except for mine. In fact, it is very tough for him to be away from me. He may have grown up, but he is still my little boy. He cannot bear to be apart from me. My son is unique." Ishwari aunty was quite loquacious today talking about Dev. Sonakshi simply nodded along, listening to all of her chit-chat. Her pride regarding her son could not be more evident.

Suddenly, Nikki hollered, "Ma, Bhaiyya is home!"

Auntyji rushed towards the door to welcome her darling son and so did the rest of his family. Dev was wearing a sky-blue shirt, tan pants and a navy-blue blazer. His usual. He touched his mother's feet and hugged his sisters. They were all talking over one other, his mother fussing over how thin he was looking in just a few days away from her while his sisters demanding to know if he bought all the things on their lists.

Sonakshi stood far away just watching the scene unfold. He was trying to appease them all, responding to all their queries and calm the commotion while his eyes searched for the one person who wasn't in this huddle, stopping when they found her.