Chapter 10 - Op.1 - Boy Problems

Wild Card's POV

"You could say that"

We both look to the side immediately. Oh no. I know that voice. Sure enough, I'm right. Kateline is walking towards us from the left side. 

Missy's POV

"You could say that"

Wild Card and I both look to the side immediately. Kateline is walking towards us from the left side. I'm pretty sure she heard that.

"Sorry! I didn't mean it like that- I was just trying to say that- like- you know so that-" Wild Card start blabbering right away before getting cut off by Kateline's laugh. Not one of those evil laughs like "Very Funny You'll Regret That", more of a genuine laugh like she used when she's with the others and they say something funny. 

Kateline lets out a laugh before kneeling down in front of us. She turns and looks at me. "He's right you know," She says, "How much of our conversation did you hear?" Wild Card asks alarmed, "Most of it, Brooke and I were sent to get you and when we arrived at the classroom discovering you weren't there, we figured you had probably gone to look for Missy, despite what we said" She explains.

"Sorry" He apologizes, "Don't worry about it. I didn't expect you to stay put while your friend was upset anyways. It really shows how much you've changed" She says. 

I watch the interaction between them. It's kind of weird. I know they're exes. But sometimes they seem so comfortable around each other and there's a genuine smile on both of their faces, while other times they have little to no interaction and when they do interact, it's very professional, as if they were in a business or something.

"I really wasn't that good of a leader. I wasn't able to help Wild Card control his powers, I wasn't able to help Slo-Mo with his powers either. I couldn't get the twins to get along with each other one bit. I had years to try and do that and I still failed, yet you did it in a matter of months without knowing them one bit" She tells me. 

I look down at my book. What she's saying is true, but she's still well, Kateline. Everyone loves her. The Heroics, all of us, it seems like the entire building knows and loves who she is. It's not hard to understand why, and I'm nothing like her. I don't have powers, I'm an only child, I've only known the squad for a  bit of time compared to her. 

She can clearly tell that I'm not convinced. "Plus, I hear that you were the one to walk across the tightrope and lure the monsters over the pit defeating them during your test," She says. 

"You're a great superhero, even if you don't have powers." 

She sighs as she can see I'm still not convinced.

She whispers something to Wild Card before turning back to me. "Missy, can I talk to you privately for a moment?" She asks, I look at Wild Card and he nods. "Sure, I guess so" I say. She gives a genuine smile as we get up. "I'll be in the classroom if you need me" Wild Card whispers before giving Kateline a nod and leaving. 

Kateline leads me to the second floor of the library, then she walks up to a bookshelf and pulls a blue book, a teal book, a yellow book, and a brown book in that otder. The wall beside the bookshelf reveals and door and she motions for me to follow, we enter what seems like a secret room. 

"What is this place?" She asks me, "it's a secret zen room in Heroics HQ" She explains, "Woah, do people know this is here?" I ask her looking around. "Some. Ms. Granada knows, so does Ojo, Brooke's been here once, Wild Card, most of the heroics except for Miracle Guy, Red Lighting Fury, and Crimson Legend, and I think Wheels and A Capella have been before" She says.