𝐱𝐱𝐢. ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ʙᴀᴛᴛʟᴇs

21 : Newborn Battles

LOGAN STOOD STOCK STILL BESIDE JASPER, EYES SET ON THE TREE LINE

LOGAN STOOD STOCK STILL BESIDE JASPER, EYES SET ON THE TREE LINE. His heart pumped hard with adrenaline and his hands shook as power surged through his veins. But he didn't charge, not yet - not until the newborns were in view.

He could hear them getting closer and his body tensed, but then he closed his eyes. And all he heard was silence.

Silence was something that came rarely in days now, but sometimes it was not a comforting sound. There were many different types of silence.

Awkward silence was the most uncomfortable, wrapping around them like a python, suffocating them until they feel as if the air around them was doing the damage instead of the serpent.

Bittersweet silence was what people would call the calm before the storm, the peace that gives you hope before it is taken away from you.

Peaceful silence was a calming sound, allowing a person to relax and think.

This was not awkward, nor bittersweet, and it was definitely not peaceful. No, this silence was smothered in anticipation. A dramatic pause before the trumpet blows, before the lion roars, before the battle begins.

Logan felt a growl rumble in his chest as the forest whispered to him - warning him of the danger that was coming. But, he still didn't move - waiting like a solid stone wall beside the Cullens.

The Fae let out a deep breath and counted back from ten in his head - raising his hands in front of him as he did so.

Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven.

He could hear the crunch of leaves in front of him.

Six, Five, Four.

Feel the wind shifting as his fingers flexed and the trees groaned.

Three, breathe, two, breathe.

Then the world went still.

One.