Merlin's Gold - Chapter 6 - What's in a Name?

Chapter 6 - What's in a Name?

Mark and Percival had been surprised when David and Grayle had joined them at the same moment, and even more so when the Bishop had recounted the events from earlier in the day.

Percival had bound a shallow wound on Grayle's arm, pride shining in his eyes as the Bishop had told the story.

Once the remnants of the meal had been cleared, Mark brought them back to the problem at hand. "Your Grace, our thanks for a truly excellent meal, but perhaps we ought to discuss matters at hand. You requested our presence?"

"I did Mark, and please all of you call me David. I am indebted to your house, and you owe me no obeisance."

Mark inclined his head at the courtesy and smiled broadly as David continued. "Right then gentlemen, shall we attend to business? I have called you here on the instruction of King Arthur. He sent me a message, via trusted courier, with instructions for the forthcoming excursion to Silbury Hill.

"Mark, you and Merlin will take your Cornish miners, who I believe are due to arrive tomorrow, on to Silbury where they will make a start on the excavations. Merlin will be in charge of the mining operation. Mark, you will be Marshall in charge of the area itself. Set up whatever fortifications you think you need to secure the Hill and keep Arthur informed of both operations, and any Saxon incursions or movements.

"Percival, you and Grayle will go straight to Camelot to meet with Arthur and the Knights of the Round table. Pick up any new intelligence and information they have, discuss the deployment of Arthur's other forces, and marshal any additional forces Mark may require. You will then take additional staff, supplies, and equipment to Silbury to reinforce Mark."

David looked worried for a moment and sighed. "I also have a favour to ask of you gentlemen. My niece has been asked to join Queen Guinevere as a lady-in-waiting, and my presence has been requested as a representative of the Church. Would you escort us safely to Camelot?"

"It would be our great pleasure David," said Percival. "And your trust in us is a great compliment."

"It is settled then," noted David. "All I have to do now is tell Iseult."

A small sound of dissatisfaction from outside the door was followed by swiftly retreating steps.

"I suspect she may already know, David," noted Mark with a broad grin.

"Oh bother," muttered the Bishop. "You gentlemen may want to retire to the local ale house. Hopefully you won't hear the argument from there."

A few hours later Bishop David joined them at the Inn on the opposite side of the square from the clergy quarters. A serving girl brought him a frothing tankard, and he slumped into his chair with a sigh, taking a long draught of beer.

"I take it she's not too keen on coming along, Your Grace?" Mark slipped back into more formal tones given the public surrounding, but still grinned widely at the corpulent clergyman.

"She was enthusiastic in her arguments, but I did note that it was the order of the Queen, so she quietened down in the end." He sighed. "She will be fine with Guinevere and the child, but she is my only family and I will miss her."

Mark reached for his own tankard. "Percival and Grayle will make sure you both get to Camelot in one piece, Your Grace."

"I know they will, and I am happy with the escort." He raised his tankard and toasted them. "To the house of Cornwall!"

The following morning found Mark nursing a hangover, much to the amusement of Percival and Grayle, and they had left the grumbling King in his room. Daybreak found the two of them lightly armoured and sparring with Camlan on the Bishop's lawns. Camlan was working Grayle through a system of movements with a battleaxe, something Grayle had not used before and was patiently explaining some of the differences between using a sword and an axe.