Merlin's Gold - Chapter 12 - Divine Inspiration

Chapter 12 - Divine Inspiration

As the column of men, horses, and wagons drew into the main palisade, Merlin stalked out of the command tent, his face drawn and angry. He flicked them a small nod of recognition in passing and disappeared from view. Mark, his face taut with annoyance followed but seeing the new arrivals he changed direction to talk to them, his face relaxing into a smile.

"Welcome gentlemen to the biggest and oldest pile of mud in the country." There was a bitter edge to Mark's words, and Percival gave him a worried look as he dismounted. He embraced his father and noted with pride the white cross of Cornwall on a black pennant fluttering from the pole at the top of the tent.

"Come inside my canvas castle gentlemen, Morholt will sort out your horses and arrange the men you've brought with you."

Minutes later, Mark, Percival, Grayle, Gawain, Daniel, and David sat around a rickety wooden table in Mark's command tent. After Gawain had been introduced to Mark, Percival outlined recent events at Camelot. Once Mark was satisfied he was fully apprised of current affairs, he started to discuss the situation within the camp.

"We have yet to start digging in the mound, other than to raise fortifications. Merlin seems to be waiting for a sign or something that will help him decide what needs to be done. Meanwhile, as you can see, we have utilised both the miners and the soldiers to fortify the camp, and we have started arranging the materials we'll need to start the dig. All we need now is to decide where."

"And that is something we will decide now," said Merlin grumpily as he stomped back into the tent unannounced. "I need you three with me." He pointed in turn to Gawain, Grayle, and finally Daniel, who visibly shrank back from the gnarled finger.

"Come on children, I haven't got all day."

Grayle stood, his eyes afire with curiosity and followed the old man outside, Gawain and Daniel followed in his wake. Mark's eyes lifted to the heavens as Percival chuckled.

As the rest of them left the tent, they joined a bemused crowd of onlookers as Merlin gave orders in peremptory fashion to the three he'd pulled from the tent.

"Now, stand here and hold hands in a circle. I will stand in the middle. Don't be an idiot boy," Merlin scolded Gawain who had crossed his arms. "I'm asking you to hold hands, not dance a jig."

They stood in the centre of the compound, Merlin with his hands raised and eyes shut as the three young men closed a slightly embarrassed circle of linked arms around him. Abruptly, the old man's eyes opened and he smiled grimly, ignoring the growing crowd of interested men who surrounded them.

"There," he said, pointing towards the summit of the hill.

"Cadan!" he shouted, and the mining foreman ambled over to him, as did Mark, Percival, and David.

"We dig there, at the top of the hill. Will you join me?"

"Of course, my Lord," said the heavyset man, and followed Merlin up the grassy slope.

"Merlin!" called Mark. "Are you serious? You want to tunnel downwards from the summit?"

"I don't know yet," came the faint reply from the receding form of the old man.

"Blasted, awkward, cantankerous, pig-headed...." Mark marched up after the old man, swearing under his breath, each footfall prompting a fresh expletive. The other men in the party trailed after them looking puzzled and amused by turn.

As they reached the top, Merlin, seemingly unaffected by the brisk climb, pulled out a slender forked stick made of freshly cut hazel and wandered around seemingly at random across the top of the mound.