Merlin's Gold - Chapter 10 - A Tangled Web

Chapter 10 — A Tangled Web

Guinevere and Grayle sat in an alcove overlooking the gardens, watching from a window seat as Anna and Iseult played hide and seek among the bushes. The Queen studied her nephew carefully in the early morning light. His dark hair partially hid his face, but she could see there was a calmness to him now that had been missing when he had first arrived at Camelot.

The gentle, almost feminine curve of his face was so like her sisters in profile that she lost herself in memories of her childhood for a moment. Reaching out a gentle hand she cupped his chin, lifting his face to look her in the eye. His face was more masculine as she looked him over from the front; the strong jaw, faint scar on one cheek, and finally the dark eyes looking intently back at her.

Grayle clasped her hand in his, bowing his head to kiss the back of it in courtly style. "My Lady," he said, grinning at her.

"Don't you start coming the court dandy with me, nephew." She said firmly and then laughed. "You've suddenly turned into a man it seems. You've found a wonderful woman too."

Grayle blushed and looked out of the window, watching the giggling Anna being tickled into helplessness by Iseult.

"I almost lost her, I'm not sure I can bear the pain of that." The words were spoken softly, but carried a depth of anguish Guinevere found hard to bear. She thought for a moment, taking his hand in hers.

"That is both the problem with, and the joy of, love. It is so powerful that all else pales in comparison. You are lucky to have found someone you feel so strongly for. And yes, I know what happened in the Blackdown Hills.

"You are a lucky man Grayle. You have found a belief that gives you peace, and a love that makes you strong. But love can also be a weakness. Other people can exploit it, and doubt can weaken it. Are you in love?"

"Yes." The reply was instant.

"Then you cannot let that go."

Grayle maintained eye contact with his aunt and nodded. "But what if I lose her?"

"Then you'll have lost her. Would you rather never know? Would you rather suffer for the rest of your life in the knowledge of what might have been?"

"No."

"Then there is your answer." She smiled and changed the subject. "Have you decided what you want to do once your training has finished?"

"Not entirely, no. I have the option to become a Knight for a great house, join my grandfather in Tintagel as one of the Guard, or perhaps join the Church Knights as Bishop David has suggested. I would like to serve God in one way or another, but I am not entirely sure."

"Love is a lot like faith perhaps then. As long as you are pure in heart, true to yourself, and you do what you think is right, then you will serve both your love and your Lord."

Grayle turned away, his face troubled, to gaze out of the window into the distance. "Whatever future I choose, I still lose someone I love: I lose Percival."

"Your father will always be with you, through your own actions. He has trained you, but he has also brought you up as his son. He has done a good job.

"To paraphrase a certain wise old magician: 'yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today? Today is a gift, that's why we call it the present.' Percival has also given you the gift of a future. And you must use it well.

"You will not lose Percival. He will be there for you come what may. He will be losing you though. He trusts and loves very few people in this life; you, Arthur, Mark, maybe a few others. All you can do is make your choice as best you can. Choose what is best for you, everyone will accept and support your choice. You're allowed to be scared."