Merlin's Gold - Chapter 29 - Morgause

Chapter 29 – Morgause

"That is not your choice to make." Morgause rose to her feet, her silver dagger held in her right hand. She moved swiftly, slashing at Iseult's unprotected back. There was a cry of pain, and Elyan who had thrown himself desperately between Morgause and Iseult as she'd attacked, fell to the ground, the silver blade stuck in his arm. Iseult reacted, smashing her forearm into the woman's head to send her staggering backward. Iseult dropped to the ground by Elyan, ripping off a piece of her shirt to staunch the wound.

Percival drew his sword, the steely rasp it made as it withdrew from its scabbard precluding further movement from Morgause.

She froze, then relaxed, smiling at Percival coyly. "You wouldn't attack a woman, Sir Knight. Your self-imposed, skewed, and weakling code of honour prevents that."

"Normally I would agree with you Morgause, but you have been branded a traitor, and as such it is my duty to present you to the king for judgment. If necessary I'll present him with your head, and he can declare your bitterly wailing ghost guilty instead."

"I am a princess of the realm, and as such have the right to a trial by members of the aristocracy," she spat.

"You have lost that right," growled Percival. "The High King even now fights against your allies, the curs of war you have brought howling over the border. You are responsible for the deaths of hundreds, and yet you talk about your bloodline? You are guilty of treason and deserve to die."

Percival advanced on Morgause, his sword held high, eyes glittering with rage.

Morgause ignored him and spoke directly to Guinevere. "Still your yapping dog Guinevere, he cannot hurt a princess of the realm, no one but Arthur has the power to do that, and he still fights on."

Guinevere turned, looking longingly at the white armoured form of her husband who battled on below them. He was still desperately trying to beat his way through to link up with Ecrivain's beleaguered horsemen who had been routed by the Saxon wedge punched deep into their heart. Gawain and his few remaining horsemen had also reappeared and were hammering away at the western flank of the Saxons. The horsemen were whipping in a series of lightning-fast attacks as their forces headed towards the palisade at the foot of the hill: a palisade where a small force of Saxons held firm.

"I don't think we need to bother Arthur with this, he seems busy," she said, a note of determination entering her voice. She turned to Percival, her expression set. "Move away, Sir Knight."

"My Queen?" said the knight in surprise.

"You heard me, Sir Percival, move away, she is mine."

"But Queen Guinevere, shouldn't we wait for..."

"You will obey your queen, Sir Knight," said Guinevere, steel in her tone as she turned the full force of her authority on him. Percival bowed and sheathed his blade, moving away from his former lover, allowing Morgause to face the High Queen.

~

Arthur swept past a Saxon warrior, burying a long-bladed knife in the man's neck. Excalibur was sheathed for now in the brutally close fighting of the battlefield, so he fought with a short sword held in his other hand. Grayle, similarly armed, fought next to him, Mark coming up fast from behind. Gawain shouted across from his horse in greeting, and Grayle flashed a smile at his friend.

"We must get to Ecrivain!" shouted Arthur above the din of the battle. "We can drive the Saxons away together. Onwards!"

Forming a wedge, with Grayle and Mark at his shoulders, he pushed forwards, cutting his way through the steadily retreating Saxons with brutal efficiency. Finally reaching the shoulder of Ecrivain's horse, he shouted a greeting at the knight. Ecrivain slashed his blade through a Saxon and raised his visor to smile grimly at the king.