Merlin's Gold - Chapter 26 - A Broken Man

Chapter 26 – A Broken Man

The Saxons had quietly withdrawn after the death of Oeric, the fight seeming to drain from them with the death of the fearsome prince. As they went, they removed as many of the defensive stakes and caltrops as they could find on their way down the hill to prevent the defenders re-occupying a defensive position on the side of the hill.

As the swollen and blood red sun dropped below the horizon, the shadows deepened to night. Fires were lit in the fort at the base of the hill, others dotting the grassy plains beyond.

The defenders had watched in silence as the Saxon war party had withdrawn. As the bier carrying the body of Oeric had entered the lower fort, a roar of rage and bitter grief had sent crows into the air in fright. Hengist had stormed from the fortified area and raged at Arthur from the base of the hill. The bitter stream of invective and vitriol was met with stony silence from the High King. Arthur had stood facing Hengist, glowering at him from the top of the hill with his arms crossed, impassive and unmoving in his white enamelled armour. As he'd stood there, the setting sun had coloured his attire a bloody red in the waning light.

Hengist had made to storm up the hill, only to be stopped by the same veteran warrior who had interceded in the earlier altercation following the death of Oeric. Eventually, with much persuasion from the other man, Hengist had retreated to the safety of the fort, and Arthur had made his way over the wall to join his men inside the upper fort.

As dusk set in, the majority of the remaining defenders withdrew inside the walls of the fort. Sentries were set, and men huddled together for warmth in the cooling evening air.

The leaders and a few others sat talking quietly, resting against the solidly constructed stone walls raised by the miners, who had used the materials from the shaft to produce a six-foot high ring around the top of the hill, a three foot high step built on the inside to give the defenders a height advantage. A raised platform had also been constructed to allow a view down over the wall. This currently held four sentries, but would be employed on the morrow for the archers and ballistae crews, the ballistae already fixed in place and ready for action.

Percival stumped over to the group and sat down next to Grayle, who was sitting holding Iseult's hand in the near darkness. All light had been forbidden to allow the sharp-eyed sentries to pick out any movement in the clear moonlight.

"I can't find Morholt anywhere," Percival said grumpily.

"That's because I've sent him on a scouting mission," said Mark quietly. "He's out looking around to see what he can see of the Saxon defences. He should be back by dawn."

"Arthur?"

"He's moving around the camp with Guinevere, talking to the men." Mark shook his head in wonder. "Utterly unstoppable that man. If you want a lesson in leadership Grayle, just do what Arthur does. The man's a born commander."

"How did he get out alive?" whispered Grayle. "I left him, and he should've died."

"Are you still beating yourself up over that son?" said Percival.

"Of course he is," said Isuelt tetchily. "He's an idiot like that." She kissed him on the cheek as he made to protest, Percival and Mark chuckling at his discomfort.

"Your commander ordered you to do something, you did it," said Mark. "I would have done the same."

"Really?"

"Really," replied Mark.

"And if you hadn't, I'd've clattered you myself, nephew," said Arthur appearing from the darkness and sitting down next to him. "You did the right thing, we survived."