Merlin's Gold - Chapter 18 - An Eye for an Eye

Chapter 18 – An Eye for an Eye

There was a brief moment of blissful contentment as he opened his eyes to see the sun streaming in through the open tent flap, then pain roared across Percival's bruised nerve endings like a wave breaking on the rocks. He clenched his eyes against the spiking agony battering his limbs, and groaned.

Someone lifted a beaker of water to his lips and Percival drank greedily. He opened his eyes to see the careworn, relieved face of a tired looking Grayle.

"Help me up," said Percival, his voice rasping into the morning air.

Grayle helped his father sit up in bed and Percival looked at his son, smiling despite his bruised face and pain-wracked body. "Good to see you lad."

"Good to see you too. We were worried for a little while but Merlin said you'd be fine." Grayle's expression darkened, the sudden solemnity instantly apparent to his father.

"What's wrong son?"

"Merlin: just when I thought I was beginning to understand him, he did something utterly abhorrent, it was barbaric."

"What's happened?"

"After you passed out, he had you brought in here, made sure you were comfortable, stitched the cuts, and dressed your wounds carefully. He did it all with great tenderness and care." Grayle grimaced, preparing himself for his next words. "Then he went outside to where Camlan's body lay, cut out his left eye, and took his ear and hand. I don't know what he has done with them, but he mutilated Camlan, and told the guards to bury him somewhere outside without any sort of ceremony."

"Camlan was a pagan Grayle," said Percival. "He died with his sword in his hand, I made sure of that. He died a warrior's death as he would have wanted. He would not be worried about what happened to his body after his death as long as he died in battle. Merlin's beliefs are different again, and I suspect he has some plan in mind, although I have to agree that what he did was unsettling. I don't think it's something you need to worry about son. It's done, and we're still here."

"I found where they'd buried him and said a prayer for him."

"And he would've appreciated that too." Percival leaned over and gripped his son's arm, sighing heavily. "I'm sorry I stopped you fighting son, but I couldn't see you go up against Camlan, you weren't in the right frame of mind. You were too angry to fight to the best of your ability, but not angry enough to take him out. I hope you understand."

"I understand father, I'm just glad you're still here to apologise, not that you need to. I wanted to fight with hate in my heart and it would have been my undoing. I have been talking with David, and he has helped me understand myself a little more." Grayle disengaged the hand from his arm and shook his hand in thanks.

"Now, what's going on, and how long have I been out of action?" said Percival, suddenly businesslike.

"Only a day, although I don't recommend you try and get back on your horse for a little while. Grandfather is recovering slowly, but still has odd bouts of depression. He has been talking a great deal with David too which seems to help him. Merlin and Cadan have been bringing out the first loads of treasure from the depths of the hill, but it's slow work."

Grayle paused, his eyes roving the bandages that covered his father's body. "Do you feel up for a meeting with grandfather and the others later on? We need to prepare ourselves. The scouts have said Hengist and his Saxons are getting closer daily, and with you out of action, and Mark still recovering we need to get things sorted out from a command point of view."

Percival looked at his son, impressed with the authority coming into his voice. "I think the best thing we can do is probably put you in charge son, but yes, I'll make it, even if you have to carry me."