Merlin's Gold - Chapter 24 - Breach

Chapter 24 – Breach

"Sir Knight!" The call came from Percival's right. He was watching as the momentary breach on the east wall failed, the threat swiftly nullified by Grayle and his men. He looked over at Piran, the senior ranger who watched the other side of the fort. "Something is going on here Sir Knight, but I'm not quite sure what."

Percival walked over to join the man, his injured arm bound tightly to his body and watched as a small group of Saxons set up a shield wall at the junction of the south and west walls, directly below the tower from which the ballistae had recently been removed. As they did, the Saxon war chant suddenly raised in volume, the repeated cry of "Death" swamping the cries of men and the clashes of swords and shields. The tower was empty and the shields of the Saxons blocked the view from the hillside. Percival, becoming increasingly worried, decided to take action.

"Archers, form two groups. I want two volleys please: first group loose a volley into the Saxons; second group, count to two and then you shoot yours. On my mark," he paused, judging the moment and then, "mark!"

The first volley of arrows hammered into the shields of the Saxons. None penetrated but several Saxons lowered their shields to inspect the arrows, opening themselves to the second volley that followed mere seconds behind. As several of the men in the shield wall keeled over there was a brief glimpse of several more men behind. An axe fell, striking deep into the wood of the palisade before hastily raised shields once again covered what was going on behind them.

"Hell and damnation!" swore Percival. "Piran, send in a few more volleys to keep them on their toes. You," he tapped the arm of a nearby soldier. "Find King Arthur or King Mark, and tell them the southwest tower is being attacked by axes. Warn them to keep an eye out for others, then report back to me."

"Yes, sir!"

As the soldier sped off with the message, Percival moved back to check the east wall, stunned to see a similar scenario being played out on the opposite corner of the fortifications.

Movement at the back gate caught his eye and he noticed Morholt and the ballistae teams moving steadily up the hill towards them. Morholt had loaded the ballistae onto the rope and pulley system Merlin had designed to haul materials to the top of the hill and, apparently happy with the progress, was making his way up the slope toward Percival. As he did, Guinevere and Iseult joined Percival with the remaining few archers.

"Ladies," said Percival inclining his head in greeting. "Please have your men set up with the two lines here. My Queen, if you would take command of the west flank it would be much appreciated as it appears the Saxons are trying to breach the walls with axes. Piran will fill you in on the details."

Guinevere nodded, out of breath from the climb, moving away to the west with Iseult following in her wake.

"Sir Knight," Morholt joined him, nodding in greeting.

"Captain," said Percival. "I'm just awaiting news from the camp. After you left the towers, the Saxons seem to have used the advantage and launched a new and different style of attack. They're trying to breach the walls with axes."

Minutes later, the soldier tasked with taking the message arrived breathless at Percival's position. Once he'd regained his breath he appraised the knight of the situation. "Multiple attacks my lord, they have been using javelins to keep the defenders' heads down while they sneak up to the foot of the wall with axes. The men on the walls have been throwing over chunks of stone and whatever else they can lay their hands on, but it seems to be making little difference, as every time someone pokes their head above the wall, the javelins get thrown again. I think the Saxons have realised they cannot take the fort by frontal attack alone and have decided to get a little smarter. King Mark is stationed to the rear of the fort and intends to start the staged withdrawal shortly, he has asked you to watch for the start, try to keep the flanks clear, and concentrate your fire as discussed this morning."