Chapter two: Bonding

Hiccup and Astrid were sitting against a rock in the cove with Astrid resting her head on Hiccup's shoulder and his rested on hers. They had just finished a two hour sparring session where they worked to hone their skills and are now resting before they head to the great hall for lunch.

"This is nice." Astrid whispered with a content smile on her face as she lay against Hiccup.

"It really is." Hiccup agreed and tightened his grip around her shoulders, "Hungry?" He asked when he heard a low growl.

"Yes." Astrid answered with a slight blush and giggle. But as they stood up they heard rustling in the bushes up above.

When they both turned towards the sound they looked up to see two heads looking down on them. One had a black head and bright green eyes while the other had a white head and bright blue eyes. Both dragons were looking down at the two teens with wide eyes full of curiosity, while the two teens were looking up in amazement as they had never seen dragons such as these before.

After a while both dragons dropped down to the bottom of the cove to reveal sleek bodies with large main wings, a set of secondary wings, and a pair of fins at the ends of the tails. It didn't take long for the two teenagers to realize what kind of dragon it is they were looking at.

"A night fury?" bothe Hiccup and Astrid breathed out in wonder as they are the first to set eyes on the legendary night fury. A dragon that is believed to have never left a single victim alive and the only thing written about it is to hide and pray it does not find you. But even to their in-experienced eyes they could see that the dragon had nothing but curiosity in them and somehow can sense that they hold no will to harm dragons at all.

The second dragon however was something they couldn't even begin to understand. It looked remarkably similar to the night fury but was pearly white instead of pitch black. Bright blue eyes looked at them with curiosity but they could see that it was still a bit wary around them as they were still strangers to her.

"Hey there." Hiccup mumbled as he tried to reach out to touch the dragon only to receive a growl in return. The dragons then flew off to the other side of the cove and went to sleep while He and Astrid took the opportunity to quietly leave the cove so they could make it back to the village.

"That was incredible." Astrid breathed out in awe at what just happened mere minutes ago.

"I know Astrid." Hiccup sighed out in agreement. He was just excited as she was at what just happened but immediately went into thinking mode.

Astrid looked at Hiccup and noticed that he had his thinking face on. Curious as to what is on his mind she decided to ask him. "What are you thinking of Hiccup?"

"I was just thinking about those two dragons." He answered honestly. "If we could somehow gain enough of their trust maybe they could be our ticket out of here."

Astrid stopped in her tracks and looked at him when she realized what he was saying, "You mean ride them away from Berk?" She asked, looking shocked. He nodded.

"Think about it, Astrid," He told her seriously, " if we could ride them, we wouldn't need to sneak onto a boat at the docks, meaning we can avoid the guard patrols. And if we leave in the middle of the night? By the time they realize we're gone we will be long gone by then."

Astrid thought about everything he said and realized that he was right. They have been looking for a way to get off Berk before dragon training starts and with the night fury and the other dragon. They finally have a means of doing so if the dragons were willing to help.

They waited till it was late in the afternoon before they headed up to the cove to see if the night fury and light fury, which Astrid decided to call during lunch, were still there. Between them they were carrying a large sack of fish and were now quietly making their way to the cove, trying their best not to be seen by Snotlout and his band of lackeys.

Once at the cove they caught the attention of the two dragons who slowly approached. Both were a little wary but immediately perked up when Astrid spilled the fish from the bag onto the ground. When the dragons finished devouring all the fish the night fury approached Hiccup while the light fury approached Astrid. Both held their hands out and closed their eyes waiting for what was to come. Then almost at the same time a scaly snout each pressed into one of their outstretched hands and all four beings in the cove felt a sense of relief flood into their bodies as they opened their eyes.

When Hiccup opened his eyes, he saw the night fury looking at him with large wide pupils and gave him one large lick. Hiccup tried to wipe off the slobber and looked at Astrid to see the light fury nuzzling her with care and fondness. They looked at each other and smiled wide at what had just happened. They had not only gained the dragons' trust, They had bonded with them.