Chapter eight: Negotiations

The vikings sat there in shock and disbelief once the identities of the Dragon Master and Mistress were revealed. Truth be told they had zero clue as to who it was under those helmets but never in their wildest dreams did they even think that they were the two teens that they had banished five years ago.

The Berkians are mostly still shocked into silence but the council members who despised the two realized that they had to accept the help of those they belittled and looked down upon and that was a major blow to their ego.

"Hiccup, Astrid!" Cami suddenly exclaimed with a huge smile, shocking those near her. "You two are still kicking huh."

"It is good to see you again Cami." Astrid replied with a smile, definitely happy to see the shorter blonde.

"Shall we begin." Hiccup asked, gesturing to the table and reminding them the purpose of their journey.

"Now to keep things smooth and as we still have a little girl to get home to," Hiccups started and the chiefs remained silent and listened. "I will have to request that the heirs and council remain silent so as to avoid interruptions and are to speak only when permission has been given by their chiefs. Sound fair?"

The chiefs nodded in agreement cutting off any protests from the council members, especially the Berkian council, and Stoick belatedly realised that the request was specifically aimed at his own heir and council.

It was decided that Mogadon would speak as he was the one who suggested coming to the Dragon Master for help and began the negotiations. "Dragon Master, we would like to request your aid in helping us with the dragon raids that are plaguing the archipelago. Is there anything we can offer to help us?"

"The dragon raids are getting worse as you've mentioned in the letter." Hiccup began with his thinking face on. "It is a good time to mention that We have spent the past year researching the archipelago dragons and comparing them to the dragons that we encountered beyond the borders."

"And we have discovered that the archipelago dragons are responding to a signal emanating from helheim's gate." Astrid started, continuing where Hiccup left off. "But the problem still remains that even we were unable to find the nest despite riding dragons.

"We are willing to render aid." Hiccup informed, to the reliefs of the chiefs. "But we do have some specific requests from you regarding the matter."

"One we would require free reign in what we need to do." Hiccup then started listing the terms he and Astrid discussed before the meeting.

"An oath from every single tribe that will ensure that no harm will come to us or our dragons when we visit your islands to research dragon behavior." Astrid listed, looking at the chiefs.

"We would like one volunteer from each tribe to aid us by travelling to our island." Hiccup picked up while looking intently at the councils gauging their reactions. He was unsurprised to see the Berkian council, minus Gobber, glaring at him.

"A promise from each tribe to only come to us as a last resort for problems once the raids have been dealt with." Meaning that pleasure visits were allowed as long as they let the two know in advance.

"And finally," Hiccup said, with a pause for dramatic effect. "The removal of Spitelout Jorgenson from the council and Snotlout Jorgenson from his position as the heir of Berk."

"And why would we agree to that Useless!" Snotlout burst out in anger at the thought of losing his position. Glaring at Hiccup trying to intimidate him like he used to on Berk.

"Because, dear cousin," Hiccup replied with a mocking tone in his voice that only angered Snotlout further. "The rest of the archipelago will be condemned to an eternity of raids if you don't."

That is when the gravity of the situation hit the Jorgensons. Lose their positions and help stop the raids for good, or keep their positions and earn themselves the eternal ire of the rest of the tribes for the continuation of the raids.

"Also because I don't trust you to not attack us on our home island once you take over as chief." The darkening glare and clenching fists on Snotlout confirmed to all of the chiefs that that was exactly what Snotlout was planning on doing.

"We will leave you to think it over." and with that, Hiccup and Astrid both stood up and walked back to their dragons, leaving the chiefs to think it over.

Cami watched them go and turned to her mother. "Mother?"

Bertha immediately knew what her daughter was gonna ask and nodded. "Go on. Just be careful."

Cami smiled and ran to where the two dragons were and caught up to them. The chiefs then watched as Cami proceeded to give both Hiccup and Astrid a big hug before turning back to their conversation.

"We are all in favor Stoick." Madguts informed once the discussions had reached several agreements. "The only thing left is your verdict as they will only help us if we all agree."

"Meaning, that if one of us refuses, no aid will be given." Gobber finished and everyone looked at the fuming Jorgensons. "So what will it be Jorgensons? Your pride and positions, or the one chance we have to stop the raids entirely?"