Chapter four: Trial

It has been five days since Hiccup and Astrid bonded with their dragons and made love for the first time. They have spent much of their time with their new friends and have already learned how to fly. Hiccup spent the past few days making saddles for them and to their surprise, even the dragons like them. Right now though they were in the Great Hall having dinner along with the rest of the village when someone approached the chief and whispered something in his ear which caused his eyes to narrow with anger.

"HICCUP HORRENDOUS HADDOCK THE THIRD!!!!" Was then bellowed with said person cringing in shock while the rest of the village looked at him with suspicion.

"Yes dad?" Hiccup asked not knowing what he was in trouble with.

"You and Astrid march yourselves over here right now!" was bellowed and said teenagers stood and headed towards the chief's table with the rest of the village murmuring in the background.

"A serious accusation was levied against you." Stoick informed them and asked Snotlout to step forward. "Snotlout here told me that last night he heard moans of pleasure in the woods and when he went to investigate he spotted the two of you walking back towards the village with content smiles on your faces."

A loud gasp was heard from the village while the two accused teens were standing there shocked and looked at Snotlout who had a smug look on his face. Both teens were then sure who blabbed but they don't know how he knew as they were sure no one was nearby.

"As per tribal laws the accused party will spend the night in the jail cell for the trial the next day." Stoick announced as two guards stepped forward to lead the two teens to the cells. "No one is to enter the jail cells until the time of the trial."

Later that night while Hiccup and Astrid were locked in a single cell at their request, Toothless and Starlight were getting worried. Their riders should've arrived by now and they still haven't arrived. After waiting for a little bit longer they decided to look for them themselves and left the cove. After a bit of searching, they managed to get their riders' scents and it led them to the prisons. Luckily for them, the cells that contained their riders are the ones closest to the forest.

They both peered into the cell and warbled at the people inside catching them by surprise.

Hiccup and Astrid were laying against each other and sat up in shock at the familiar warble and both looked up to see their dragons peering into the cell. Toothless took one look and started to charge a plasma blast but Hiccup stopped him.

"Toothless no." Hiccup commanded and Toothless reluctantly cancelled the blast. "You can't be discovered." Toothless crooned sadly but accepted.

"You two need to stay hidden and watch over us." Astrid spoke up now knowing they can understand what she is saying. "When they bring us to the arena tomorrow, just stay hidden and watch. If they decide to execute us, do what you can to get us out."

"And if they decide to banish us, stay out of sight and follow the boat they set us off in till we are out of sight." Hiccup finished catching on to what Astrid is saying.

The two dragons were not happy but did leave to get into a proper position to watch over the arena during the trial in the morning. Hiccup and Astrid felt better knowing that the dragons were nearby but were still worried about the trial tomorrow. They knew their fates now rested in the hands of the gods and all they could do was wait and see what happens.

The next day Hiccup and Astrid were being escorted to the kill ring for their trial. Once there they found the rest of the tribe waiting, waiting to see the fate of Hiccup the Useless and Hopeless Astrid. Once at the kill ring they were brought inside to where they would stand during the trial.

"Today we are here to witness the trial of Hiccup Haddock and Astrid Hofferson." Stoick announced from his chair at the top of the arena. Next to him on either side were seven other council members including Spitelout Jorgenson, Mildew, and Froglegs Ingerman on his right, while on his left were Gobber, Brunnar Hofferson, Duffnut Thorston, and Hoark.

"Yesterday, both teens were accused of committing sexual acts outside of wedlock by Snotlout Jorgenson who heard moans of pleasure and spotted the accused teens walking home with happy smiles on their faces." Stoick began and all looked to the Jorgenson boy who nodded in confirmation. "What do you say in defence?" Stoick then asked the two in the ring.

"Nothing." Astrid answered with confidence to murmurs from the crowd and a glare from her parents.

"Do you not deny the accusations?" Stoick now asked with an eyebrow raised.

"No. All the accusations are true." Hiccup announced loudly which surprised those present with his honesty.

Stoick then brought a hand up and rubbed his eyebrows not having expected them to admit everything. "Normally we would take a vote on this but tradition dictates that banishment is the only course of action." Stoick paused then continued. "However, Astrid Hofferson will be given a choice." Said teen looked up at Stoick with a confused look on her face. "You can either accept banishment or you can stay on Berk by agreeing to a marriage between you and Snotlout Jorgenson.

Astrid's eyes widened at the offer and looked at Snotlout, who had a smug look on his face as if he thought she was going to agree, to her parents, who were glaring at her but had triumph in their eyes thinking that they had managed to separate her from Hiccup, then finally to Hiccup, who had a look on his face that says that he was willing to support any decision she makes. The choice was easy.

"I choose banishment." Astrid announced with confidence which shocked everyone present as they had thought she would try to stay on Berk.

"Very well." Stoick nodded. "You have thirty minutes to pack everything you need and make your way to the docks." He announced before adding, "No one is to disturb them while they collect their things."

Forty minutes later, Hiccup and Astrid had boarded a boat at the docks with all the things they packed. Hiccup and packed his sword, daggers, clothes, furs, journals, and sketchbooks while Astrid had packed her axe, daggers, clothes, and her one journal. Both had agreed to share the sleeping furs until they built their own home. They took one last look at the villagers only to see most of the villagers having joyous faces while they saw Astrid's parents looking at her with disappointment at her choice before casting off.

Once far enough from Berk they smiled as they heard a pair of wing beats closing in. Upon landing on the boat they strapped everything onto the saddles and mounted themselves before taking off from the boat and sinking it.

"Where to now Hiccup?" Astrid asked once they got on their way.

"We go beyond the borders where the chances of finding us are incredibly low." Hiccup replied, looking at the horizon.

"Ready, Starlight?" Astrid asked her dragon who crooned in agreement before increasing speed.

"Let's do this bud." Hiccup rubbed his dragon's head who warbled and increased speed as well.