Chapter six: Five years later on Berk

At around the same time on Berk, the mood on the island was different. For the first week or so after they left, the village had celebrated the fact that Hiccup and Astrid were off the island. These celebrations were led by the Jorgensons who gained more power as the next line of chiefs after Stoick proclaimed Snotlout as heir. For about a month or so, the village actually had a better time during raids because of the absent teens but it soon became apparent just how important said teens actually were.

At first, the raids went well and less losses were sustained. But when weapons began to get dull, broken, and needed replacements, the vikings of Berk began to question why said replacements were weaker than their previous weapons. To say the village was shocked when Gobber admitted that it was the banished pair who actually built and repaired every weapon that was used for the past few years was an understatement. They were speechless and that was when they realized the true consequence of kicking the teens off the island.

With the banishment of Hiccup and Astrid, Berk lost its two most proficient blacksmiths and they were paying the price as when weapon quality decreased, the casualties during raids increased. It was then that more sensible vikings realized that the two teens were not as useless and hopeless as everyone thought. And it had to be admitted that it was actually because Hiccup and Astrid had supplied the vikings with the best weapons they had that they were able to fight off raids as well as they did.

Many vikings though, such as the Jorgensons and their allies, still held onto their beliefs regarding the banished vikings. This constitutes most of the tribe such as the Thorstons, Ingermans, and Hoffersons. This group still regards the two as useless and hopeless, especially Snotlout and his cronies, and they were glad that the two were gone, except for Fishlegs.

Over the past few years, the raids have gradually gotten worse, and the Berkians are getting increasingly desperate for a solution. Not just them however, the rest of the tribes minus the Berserkers are also desperate for a solution. It is this desperation that is the cause of a meeting on Berk. The tribes have gathered to discuss the situation, including the Berserkers who have kept their lack of raids a secret to protect their friends.

All the chiefs have gathered on Berk and are awaiting the arrival of Dagur and the Berserker delegation. When the ship had docked they were surprised when a slender woman with raven hair and green eyes stepped off the ship instead of the Dagur as they expected. Stoick stepped forward to introduce himself and welcome the delegation.

"Greetings and welcome to Berk, I am Stoick the vast, chief of the island." Stoick greeted formally and asked, "If I may ask, who might you be?"

"My name is Heather Oswaldson, sister of Dagur the Deranged." Heather introduced herself, surprising most present as to her identity. "My brother sends his apologies for his absence as he is unable to travel due to a broken leg so he sent me in his stead. I hope you can understand the circumstances." Heather lied about the reason, not wanting to reveal that her brother is currently on his honeymoon.

"We wish him well." Stoick responded curtly before gesturing to the Great Hall, "Shall we get started?" Heather nodded and they all made their way up to the Hall.

Upon being seated, Stoick introduced Snotlout as his heir to the silent fury of the Bog-Burglar heir Camicazi, who was good friends with both Hiccup and Astrid, and the Bog chieftess Bertha, who admired Hiccup for his intelligence and courage. Heather remained quiet knowing this, and the rest of the chiefs put on fake smiles, knowing that the heir will send Berk into ruin, something the other tribes don't want to happen as Berk is a major ally and trading partner.

When the discussion regarding the raids began everyone got serious. They have been at it for several hours but every idea has been shot down due to it having already been attempted before. That is when the Meatheads remembered a story several traders told them and their chief Mogadon raised his hand.

"I know this will sound crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures." Mogadon stated to the rest who nodded in understanding and gestured for him to continue. "Several traders have come back with stories of a man they call the Dragon Master," The rest looked genuinely curious as to where this is going and asked him to continue. "He is a man who sells dragon related products such as scales, and nadder spines. The traders say he is a reasonable dealer and never asks for more than what his products are worth. So it is safe to say that he works with dragons and has found a way to handle them if his products are anything to go by." He continued and the others quickly caught on to what he was implying.

"So we need to contact him and request his aid." Stoick sighed, not happy with the idea but Mogadon was right, desperate times call for desperate measures. "It may work but what is worth his help in stopping the raids all together?" That was their biggest issue with this, what to repay him with for stopping a three hundred year old war.

"How about we trade him a woman for his services?" Madguts suggested only to receive glares from the Bogs and the Berserkers but they could understand his suggestion, even if they were appalled by it, while the rest looked thoughtful.

"That won't work." Mogadon cut in, stopping them from that train of thought. "The trader also said that on several occasions he is accompanied by a woman and a small child." That quickly sent that idea down the drain at the news that the dragon master already has a family.

"We have no choice." Madguts breathed out to the agreement of the others. "We'll just have to pay what he asks for. We need the raids to stop or we will be annihilated." Everyone nodded in agreement and made plans to send the dragon master a message through one of their traders. While this went on, a Berserker excused himself to go outside, under the pretence of relieving himself, but in reality to send off one of their terrors to send a message to Dragon's Edge regarding the chiefs' decision.