39☕

❝We don’t realize what a privilege it is to grow old with somebody❞

When Elliot returned from the bathroom and went to the spot on the dancefloor where he left Desiree but saw that she was longer there, he knew that something must have happened to her.

He looked around the club in attempt to spot her, but he didn’t find her, so he went out into the cold night air. He ran his hands through his hair for the hundredth time, trying to think where he should start looking for her. Calling the police was out of the question since they could discover some things about him that could get him in big trouble, so he decided to drive around the blocks in an attempt to spot her.

After an hour and a half driving around in circles he started to give up. It was nearing five o’clock in the morning and he had no idea what to do with himself. He call her hundred of times but she didn’t respond, by then he was sure that something bad had happened to her.

‘’This is all my fucking fault, I should never have brought her to a club, I knew this was a dumb idea. I am such a dumb asshole!’’ Elliot yelled out in frustration as he started to sob in his car. He felt so useless. He had no idea where his girlfriend was, and he didn’t even want to begin to imagine what could have happened to her.

After a while he heard his phone ringing and he fumbled to get it out of his pocket. Without looking at the caller id he picked it up.

‘’Desiree is that you?’’ He asked frantically.

‘’How nice it is to hear your voice, dear Elliot.’’ A male voice answered him instead of the person he want to talk to.

‘’Who are you and why are you calling me?’’

‘’There is no need to be rude. How come you haven’t recognized me, I am Reed, remember me?’’

When Elliot heard who was on the line with him he sat up immediately.

‘’What have you done to her?’’ He asked him angrily.

‘’I don’t understand who you are talking about, Liot.’’

‘’Desiree, my girlfriend. Where is she?’’

‘’Oh you are talking about that bitch. Right now she’s in bed with a mate of mine, I heard she is having a wonderful time.’’ Reed chuckled.

‘’Listen to me Reed, if you don’t bring her back home I will-‘’

‘’You will what? Call the cops? Oh dear Elliot you know what you can’t do that. I have a proposal for you so listen carefully. If you want to see your precious girlfriend again all you have to do is meet me three days from now same place you are, same time.’’ Reed told him. ‘’Oh I almost forgot, bring back with you one million in cash. If you don’t you will never see her again. Got it?’’

‘’Don’t you dare touch her and how do you know where I am?’’ He asked as he looked around him, but there was nobody in sight.

‘’ I promise you that I will not touch her, but I can’t say that regarding my mate. I have my means in knowing where you are and what you are doing every minute of the day, Liot. Three days, one million, see you then.’’ With that the line went dead.

Elliot threw his phone back on the passenger seat and cried his heart out. He hadn’t cried like this since when he was a boy and his father beat him and his mother up. It was all his fault that the people that he loved most in the world got hurt. He didn’t deserve them, he didn’t deserve their love. What had Desiree ever done to be treated this way? She was an angel, the opposite of him.

He drove back home and got into bed after taking an ice cold shower. He had nothing to do except to painfully wait for these three days to pass. Before he drifted off to sleep he did something that he hadn’t done in a very long time, he prayed to God that everything would be fine in the end, because if not, he couldn’t continue to live.