Chapter 2

We've all grown up and watched the same cartoons. The typical 'perfect' family with the loving parents and two kids. The mom making a delicious breakfast for her kids while her husband sits at the table reading the newspaper with a cup of coffee. The daughter running down the stairs and sitting in her fathers lap because it's the safest place she can think of while her brother chases her. But why aren't there cartoons of the not so perfect families? The families where there are no siblings, no love, no warm breakfasts, no safe place.

Walking through the doors of the hospital, I can't help but notice the new parents taking their baby home. Looking at their baby like they're the most important thing in their life. I can't help but question whether or not my parents felt the same way while taking me home. Did they look at me with complete adoration? Did they spend every waking moment just staring at me because they couldn't believe I was real? Did they promise to protect me from the horrors this world had to offer?

"Hey darl, how're you today?" Poppy, one of the nurses that has become quite familiar these past two years asked.

"Fine, you?" I mumbled as she gave me a wide smile before narrating her day to me.

"I saw the cutest baby today, usually babies are all ugly and wrinkly when they're new borns, but this one was so adorable." She gushed. "Oh, I also went to the vending machine earlier and got the last box of Pringles but Mark the donkey snatched them from me." She huffed as the lift opened on her floor letting her get out. "It was nice seeing you today darl, stop by more often!" She smiled before waving goodbye and disappearing into a room.

I've known Poppy for two years, unwillingly of course. Every time I've visited the hospital, she makes it her mission to fill me in on her day. She never fails to mention how she snuck in a visit to the paediatrics floor and played with the kids till her shift was over. Or how many new lives she welcomed into this godforsaken world. I've noticed how she never mentions anything bad about her day and can't help but think she does it on purpose. If she thinks I'll end up like her then she's got another thing coming.

"Hey Ava, what're you doing here today? It's only Wednesday." Lucy, one of the cancer patients, grinned as she got wheeled into the lift seconds before it was about to close.

"Thought I'd come say hi." I said with a ghost of a smile in contrast to her wide grin.

"Tell Maria I said hi." She said as she got wheeled out of the lift once she arrived on her floor and waved goodbye.

The doors closed once again as I continued my short trip to the top floor of the hospital.

Arriving at the top floor, I walk past the desk at the front knowing the nurse will recognise me, and make my way to the room right the end of the hallway. The room I've been coming to twice every week for the last three years of my life. I know this hospital, more specifically this ward, like the back of my hand. Kind of a weird flex but who cares.

"Hey sweet girl." A familiar voice croaked as I opened the door and stepped into the room to see her reading a book with her glasses perched on her nose. "How was your day today?" She asked not realising it's one in the afternoon and I should still be in school.

"It was good, how was yours?" I asked as I slid in bed next to her before resting my head on her shoulder.

"Mine was lovely, Poppy and I took a nice stroll in the garden. We even bumped into Lucy and Lara." She smiled as she closed her book after marking her page. Lara is Lucy's 24 year old sister, she stops by almost every day and stays for hours and hours simply giving her little sister company. In her words, it's the least she could do while her baby sister fights off cancer.

"That sounds great mom." I whispered as I wrapped my arm around her and inhaled her comforting scent. She smells like a hospital, but the perfume Poppy seems to bring her everyday does the trick and manages to bring me that slight sense of comfort I didn't know I needed.