Chapter 20

"Thanks Gabe." I said with a small smile before getting out of the car. Staring up at the house in front of me, I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief knowing he's not here. Well, for now.

"You sure you'll be okay? You could always stay at mine." He suggested but I simply smiled and shook my head.

"Don't worry about me, he should be back later tonight anyway so I won't be alone for long." I reassured him as he hesitantly nodded.

Slowly making my way up the stairs, I pushed open the already unlocked door and stepped inside before quickly closing it behind me. My back was pressed against the door as I strained my ears waiting for him to drive off. He usually drives off exactly fifteen seconds after I get in side but this time he waited an entire minute and twelve seconds.

Gabriel came to visit early in the morning, before the sun had even risen. He said everyone at his house wakes up early in the morning every weekend because they usually have something planned as a family. His mom had made breakfast and there was too much left over so he thought he'd bring it for me.

Thankfully enough the doctor had come in at the same time to let me know I was free to go after I signed the discharge papers. I hadn't expected to be let go so easily especially after the conversation I had with Alexander. I expected him to have told his friends and they would've either all held me hostage and questioned me or they would've gone straight to the police without me even knowing.

When the three of them came by early that morning, they had sent Luca home to shower and get changed while they kept me company. I've never been so nervous in my entire life, it wasn't till when Sebastian had asked where my dad had gone that I knew it was over. Sebastian isn't the type of person to beat around the bush, if he has something to say he says it right then and there.

I simply lied right through my teeth and told them he came to see me but had to leave for a business trip. Alexander didn't say a word. I expected him to say something or call me out of my lie, but he didn't. All he did was give me a disappointed look and that was it. I've been on edge for the last two days thinking they're going to find out the next time they see me and it hasn't come. Yet.

Six more weeks, just six more weeks and I'm free.

The last possible thing I need is for this entire thing to be blown open for the world to see. It's not that I don't want him to be punished, I do. I want that more than anything in the world, but it comes at a price. Everything comes at a price. If I were to expose him for who he really was, it would backfire on me one way or the other.

Either every page on the news would talk about how they feel sorry for me and take my side, say how I'm so strong to be living with such a monster for all these years. Or, I'll be painted as the rebel daughter of a saint businessman that's rebelling against her already emotionally unstable father. How I'm making things up for attention and that I'm so I considerate for not thinking about how he must be feeling while he suicidal wife is still in hospital.

I don't want either of those things but they're inevitable. If it were up to me, he'd be rotting behind bars for the rest of his miserable life while his liver drowned in alcohol. Unfortunately it's not up to me, it's up to...I'm not sure who.

Grabbing my phone from my bed, I scrolled through the long string of messages on the group chat. Sebastian and Gabriel were arguing yet again and with the handful of messages I've read in between, I can tell how much fun Sebastian is having.

Sebastian's right. - Avery

Those two words were enough to send Gabriel on a rampage while Sebastian was as smug as ever. Not too long after my text, my phone rang. Luca.