Chapter 14

Staring at the rocks beneath me, I watched the water violently crashed against them. I was at least twenty feet above the water, sitting at the edge of the cliff my legs dangled below me. The pitch black water mirrored the sky as the only sign of light was the half moon shining at the highest point of the sky.

Looking away from the water, I stared up at the sky and let my body fall backwards. Ignoring the small stones poking my back, I watched as the clouds subtly moved across the sky revealing more stars. Some shining brighter than others.

Star gazing is the one thing I did with my mom that I truly enjoyed. The one thing that Vincent didn't get the chance of ruining. We'd climb up on the roof of our house and stare at the stars trying to spot the brightest one. There was always one that shined brighter than the others and she'd always say that if I ever missed her, then the stars would instantly connect me with her. That she'd be staring up at the sky looking for the brightest star while I did the same. It sounds silly, but for some odd reason I can't help but cling onto it.

"Don't jump." I heard a voice call from behind me as I sat up straight and turned my head to see none other than my best friend Gabriela standing barely inches away from me.

"You going to stop me?" I asked dryly as he frowned and sat right next to me. "Stalking me are you?" I asked as he stayed silent.

"You won't actually jump will you?" He asked softly as I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"I'm guessing you found your favourite rumour?" I asked referring to the last time I saw him.

"Your dad was cheating on your mom with a psycho bitch so she broke in and tried to kill her so she could have him all for herself." He said after a few moments of silence as a small smile made its way to my face. That was a funny one.

"I like that one." I grinned. "Did you see the one that says my house allegedly got broken into by a vampire and it compelled her to kill her family but instead she fought against it and killed herself?" I laughed as he gave me a funny look and laughed.

"What actually happened?" He asked seriously as I laid back down and stared back at the sky.

"I'd say the vampire one but only kids under eleven believe that." I shrugged. "I think the serial killer one sounds better." I said as I watched him stare at me from my peripheral vision.

"She tried to kill herself didn't she?" He asked as I didn't bother responding. He knows she did and it's no secret anyway. "Elena Armani, she's your moms therapist isn't she?" He asked once he realised I wasn't going to respond to his previous question.

"She's your mother isn't she?" I asked just for confirmation. I know for a fact she is, they've got the same surname for god sake. "And she fucking told you about my mother?" I asked as I clenched my fists. If that's the case then I guess someone's getting their license taken.

"No she didn't, I saw her name on one of the files in her office at home. I didn't look at it, I promise." I reassured me as I rolled my eyes.

"Look at it for all I care, whatever it says in there I'm pretty sure it's on the news anyway." I shrugged. That's a lie, I do care. I do care if he knows because then that means he'll either tell everyone and make my life harder, or he'll pity me. And as much as I love a good amount of attention, I can't stand it most of the time.

"I wouldn't want anyone looking at my brothers." He said as I turned my head to look at him.

"He tried to take his life?" I asked as he nodded.

"It was a while back, eight years ago. He used to get bullied to a point where he tried to off himself." He waved off as though it was nothing while I stared at him, waiting for him to slip up with some sort of reaction.