Chapter 3

Who remembers as a child fighting with your parents for an extra two more minutes to play with your friends because you didn't want to go to sleep? Sleep was the absolute last thing you ever wanted to do because that was precious time wasted. Time where you could ding dong ditch another persons house, or sing another song for a concert held for all our toys. 

I never really understood why kids my age would come to school and complain about how their parents made them go to sleep, or how their parents dragged them inside to eat their dinner. They would roll their eyes and express their dislike for their parents who were doing their job by taking care of them and their basic necessities. But then there was me, bed time was my favourite time of the day. It was my escape from this cruel world, my dreams taking me to a world of my own where everything was perfect. Where I was also like the kids at school and complained about having to go to bed and having to leave my fashion show to eat dinner.

However unfortunately for me, my dreams only lasted so long. I used to think maybe I used up all my dreams which is why I don't get them anymore, or why I don't sleep anymore. Little did I know the girl who escaped in her dreams was long gone and replaced with a girl who was too scared to sleep for nightmares to appear instead of her dreams.

Feeling my phone buzz from besides me, I picked it up and switched off my unnecessary alarm before getting out of bed and walked into the bathroom. I took a quick shower before changing into my usual sweatpants and tank top before grabbing my school bag and jacket.

Pressing my ear against the door, I kept my eye on the time. He should be leaving in a couple seconds. All I need to do is listen for the door to slam shut. Just as I had said, a couple seconds went by and the door slammed shut letting me know he was gone for the rest of the day.

Letting out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, I unlocked my room door and walked out before locking it behind me and made my way downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and filled up my water bottle just as I noticed money peeking out from underneath the toaster.

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed the 20 dollar bill and stuffed it in my jacket pocket. This is what I like to call guilt money. Don't get me wrong, Vincent has hated me all my life and will definitely continue to do so, but he never shows it when he's sober. His resentment for me comes out with a little encouragement from his best friend vodka. When he does see me, correction when his sober self sees me, he simply tries making awkward conversation or ignores me altogether. When he sees me that is. Every morning he'll leave a 20 dollar bill underneath the toaster because he can't remember how much damage he's done the night before. Rarely, it's 100 dollar bills but that's when he actually remembers what he's done to me the night before. The only reason he even feels the slightest bit of guilt in the first place is because of his almost nonexistent bit of love left for my mother.

Slipping on my battered vans, I sling my bag over my shoulder before walking out of the house. I didn't bother locking the door behind me and began my usual walk to school. Most of the teenagers that live in my neighbourhood go to private schools, Vincent decided that even a public school was too good for me. However, a couple people do go to the same school as me despite having more than enough money to go to private school. They 'want to experience it'. Whatever that means.

I managed to make it to school just as the bell rang indicating the start of first period. It usually takes me a good half an hour to walk to school, but that's minus the breaks. I like to take my time, plus there's no need to rush. It's not like I'm missing anything important.

Walking towards my calculus class, I hear a bunch of quiet murmuring coming from the end of the hallway. Curiosity killed a cat, blah blah blah, good thing I'm not a cat.