Chapter 1: The Captain of the Wicked Wench

A/N: I just realized that I never did cross post this series on here... So here we go!

Originally posted on Tumblr, Ao3, and Quotev in September of 2017.

-

Fourteen year old Aria Swann stood on the balcony of the mansion of the recently founded city of Port Royal. Her parents had sent her there to see what she could learn from the upper class men and women. Although, there was also the hidden motive of sending her, so she could give them the lay of the land to determine whether or not her father should accept governorship of the town here in a few years. At the moment, however, she was enjoying watching the sun set one more time before her return voyage. She had to admit that the Caribbean was indeed beautiful. Perhaps she could agree to live here...

"Miss Swann?" came the gentle voice of Cutler Beckett, grabbing her attention. He was the youngest commander the East India Trading Company had seen in... well, since its founding, really, and he had escorted her on the voyage there. However, he would be staying behind in Port Royal, leaving her to make the return journey alone.

"You should rest..." he told her. "You've a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

Smiling, Aria replied, "I know, Master Beckett... I just had to watch the sun set. It's my favorite part of the day." She stepped away from the window and turned to face him. He offered his arm to show her back to her room, and she took it with a graceful nod.

"In the morning, I shall send the captain to escort you to the docks. I, unfortunately, will not be able to see you off personally, for there is an important matter I must attend to." Stopping in front of her door, he stepped away. "Give your father my best, Miss Swann, and I wish you a safe voyage."

"Thank you, sir." As soon as he had left, she slipped into the room, knowing she wouldn't be able to sleep a wink.

-

As promised, there was a prompt knock at the door the next morning. Aria, already dressed and prepared, waved aside the maid to answer the door herself. As soon as she did, her breath was taken away by the young man standing there. Surely no older than seventeen, his dark eyes held a genuine smile, his dark hair slightly messy - surprising for a company captain, and his lean, tall stature was comforting, rather than intimidating as other men were.

"Miss Swann?"

Not really knowing why, she breathlessly replied, "Please, call me Aria... A-and you are?"

He gave her a lopsided grin. "My men just call me Captain, mostly, but you can call me Jack, Miss Aria."

She blushed a bit when he said her name. "You... You have no surname, then?" She wasn't sure why she was ruining this moment with propriety and formality.

His face dropped slightly, but he still smiled at her. "Well, I suppose the name inherited from my father would be Teague... I don't think it particularly suits me."

"Captain Jack Teague?" Aria tested the name. "It doesn't sound terrible... It just doesn't suit you."

Jack chuckled. "Glad to hear that you agree. But I suppose I've simply got to live with it." Grinning, he offered his arm. "This way to the Wicked Wench, Miss Aria."

She perked up a bit, intrigued. "Is that the name of your ship?"

"Indeed it is," he replied, leading her to the docks. "She's a fine vessel, the Wench."