Chapter 12: Mad as Jack

Jack awoke to the smell of smoke. Not just smoke. The smell of something burning. He was momentarily distracted from this by another, sweeter scent. He looked down and found Aria, soundly asleep on his chest. The sight made him smile, but he was soon pulled back to reality by a crash. Carefully, so as not to wake his beloved, he moved Aria off of him and got to his feet.

There was another crash as Aria's sister tossed a small barrel into a raging fire. The following bang awoke her.

"What on earth?" She too stood and took a moment to take it all in. Jack suddenly snapped back to reality.

"No!" he cried, waving his arms and rushing towards Elizabeth. "Not good!"

Aria was right behind him.

"Stop! Not good!"

"Elizabeth, what do you think you're doing?"

"You burned all the food, the shade! The rum!"

Jack was especially distressed about that last bit. Elizabeth, however, didn't seem to care. She simply walked back towards the beach.

"Yes, the rum is gone!"

"Why is the rum gone?"

She whirled on him sharply.

"One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men--" she paused to glare at Aria. "and women, on occasion, into complete scoundrels. Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out looking for my sister and I. Do you really think that there is even the slightest chance that they won't see it?"

None of that concerned Jack. He wished she would simply explain herself.

"But why is the rum gone?"

Elizabeth did not answer. She simply turned away from him and Aria and sat down in the sand.

"Just wait, Captain Sparrow. You give it one hour, maybe two, keep a weather eye open and you will see white sails on that horizon."

Aria seemed just as upset as Jack felt.

"Elizabeth, do you have any idea what you've just done? You... you..."

She huffed and stormed away, down the beach. Jack tossed one last glare at Elizabeth's back, and followed after.

"Aria, love, come back..."

"Jack... What if they do come for us? What will happen to you?"

He sighed. "I know... The thought had crossed my mind."

Aria shook her head, walking at a more reasonable pace now. "But I understand what she's thinking. She wants to save Will."

"Aye, she does."

"What are we going to do?"

Jack gently took hold of her shoulders.

"We'll figure something out, darling. I always do. And now that I've got you back, I'm like as to be twice as clever."

Aria laughed softly, and Jack was proud of himself for making her smile. The joyful expression immediately dropped from her face, however, and Jack turned around to see a white-sailed ship with a longboat headed for the island.

"There'll be no living with your sister after this," he tried to joke.

Aria suddenly placed herself right in front of him, looking serious.