Chapter 2: The Ghost Ship

The silence in the garden was deafening. It was obvious that neither of them knew what to say or where to even begin discussing what had just occurred. Finally, Jack turned towards her, though still avoiding her eyes.

"Miss Aria, I must apologize for my rash and unwarranted actions just now. I... I can explain to you father, tell him that I was just--"

"Jack..." she said softly, cutting him off, "Just tell me one thing." Eagerly, he nodded. "Why did you do it?"

The young captain didn't answer for a while. "You fascinated me... in a way no one else ever had. When we grew close over the voyage, I couldn't help but think that perhaps, when we had both gained a few more years, we might be something... more. Then when your father brought up the engagement, something came over me."

"What, like feelings?" Aria joked softly.

"Perhaps," he replied with a wry smile. "But I had a great empty feeling right here..." He lightly touched his chest, just over his heart. "Near took ill, I did, at the thought that I'd never even have a chance to win your heart. And I saw the look on your face... I didn't want you to have your fate decided for you." He paused. "But I suppose I went and did that anyway, didn't I? I must apologize once more, darling. I acted rashly on a fleeting whimsy."

"There's nothing to forgive, Jack..." Aria steeled her resolve with a breath, mustering the nerve to admit the true reason for her hesitation before. "I'm fascinated by you too. If it's a choice between you and Cutler Beckett, I'd choose you in a heartbeat. I already did, in fact." She looked at him earnestly. "But don't think that I'm only choosing you because I have no other option... I invited you to dinner because I was afraid I'd never get to see you again. And I couldn't bear the thought, because... somewhere over the crossing, my heart became yours." She let the silence fall between them once more, though it was much more comfortable and less heavy than before. She longed to take his hand... but she restrained herself. "Does this have anything to do with what you were trying to tell me before we made port?"

Jack nodded, smiling in a way that could almost be called shy. "Aye... I was just trying to say that... I know you're a lady of stature and I'm a captain. A young one, but a captain nonetheless. You could have your pick of any high-standing men, but... I'm good at what I do, I could be a commodore soon and well... Then maybe we'd be a better match? You took my heart at sea, too."

Aria laughed and shook her head. "I think we're a perfect match right now. Jack, you know me well enough to know I don't care about stature."

Jack gave her a lopsided grin. "You are one of a kind, love." Both of them blushed at the accidental nickname. "I should find a ring then, eh?" he murmured, changing the subject. "I'll have one in time for your birthday, how does that sound?"

Shaking her head at his antics, Aria gently touched his arm. "Jack, I could care less about anything, so long as you don't leave me to marry Beckett." He nodded and went silent.

"I have met a pirate before."

Blinking in surprise at the sudden change of subject, Aria said nothing, waiting for him to gather the courage to speak again. He remembered her question from that very first night aboard the Wench...

"My father is one," he admitted.

The statement hung in the air for only a moment before Aria hugged him. He held her close, empowered by her indifference to his confession and continued, "I was born on his ship in the middle of a typhoon. I didn't want his reputation to be mine, so I found the Company. Beckett gave me a job..."

"And here we are..." she murmured, looking up at him with a soft smile.

"Aye... Here we are." Jack sighed. "It's not that I don't love my father... but we're very different, he and I."