Chapter 11: Welcome to the Caribbean

Jack

Sloshing through the water, Jack untangled his hands from the rope as he came up onto the shore behind Aria's sister. Throwing the binding aside, he turned and watched the Pearl move away.

"That's the second time I've had to watch that man sail away with my ship..." he muttered. But at least the first time, he hadn't had to watch his fiancee be taken away too. He just stood there a moment longer, soaking in his loss.

"What's that?" Elizabeth said, squinting at the water.

"What?" Jack followed her gaze. Someone was swimming towards them. He'd recognize that dark hair anywhere.

There she was, finally able to touch the sandy floor. She was struggling through the water, as beautiful as he remembered, getting nearer and nearer.

Jack wanted to rush forward, but his body was frozen. It was as if his brain hadn't yet caught up to what he was seeing.

She was waist deep when it clicked.

"Aria."

He moved, slowly at first, still somewhat numb, then he was dragging his feet through the surf as fast as he could until she was in his arms.

"Jack!" She threw her arms around his neck, and he held her close by the waist.

Finally, he leaned away to look at her, just to drink in the sight he'd been missing all these years. Then his mind went numb again, and he couldn't think of anything to say.

"That is not a nightgown." Really? That's what tumbled out?

But she replied in kind, "And you're not dead."

Jack grinned. "Course not... I'm--"

"Captain Jack Sparrow?" she grinned. "I know."

Silence fell between them, and they simply looked into one another's eyes. Aria took a breath to speak, but then-

"Aria!"

The moment was broken, and she turned away to reunite with her sister.

"Elizabeth..."

"How did you get away?"

Aria smirked slightly, looking between Elizabeth and Jack. "I think the bosun just expected me to have given up..."

Jack grinned. "And he expected wrong, eh?"

She nodded, and Elizabeth watched the two of them with a frown.

"Perhaps we should focus on getting out of here?" the younger Swann suggested.

Jack's face dropped. "I'm afraid that won't be possible." With a meaningful look at Aria, he turned and headed to where he knew the supplies were stored.

"But you were marooned on this island before, weren't you? So we can escape in the same way you did then!"

By now, Jack was slightly irritated at her for interrupting his moment with Aria. He could tell she had done it on purpose by the way she looked at him.

"To what point and purpose, young missy?" he snapped. "The Black Pearl is gone. And unless you have a rudder and lot of sails hidden in that bodice... unlikely... young Mister Turner will be dead long before you can reach him."

He knew Aria was watching him, but he couldn't gauge her reaction. Knocking on a tree, he listened carefully to see if he had found the right one. Elizabeth persisted, however.