Chapter 7: Leverage

As the ship drifted towards the small light in the darkness, Jack began to feel a strange mix of emotions. He hadn't exactly been what you'd call faithful in the past decade or so. While his heart had always belonged to Aria, after he'd been branded, he found himself falling into the temptations of the pirate's life. Though he'd surrounded himself with the ladies of Tortuga, living up to the womanizing persona of Captain Jack Sparrow, he always compared them to her. They were never good enough, so he sought out more and more. Now, however, the guilt was eating at him. He tried to tell himself he was justified in what he did. After all, was he really bound to the fair Miss Swann if she'd thought him dead? But as many excuses as he made, Jack knew he'd have to face the consequences of his actions eventually. He had just hoped it would be later, not sooner, though he couldn't deny that Tortuga had a certain way of making one face the past.

After docking, Jack led the young Turner through the rowdy crowds lining the streets. Everyone and their dog seemed to be fighting, but that was hardly a surprise in this godforsaken pirate port. A pair of drunks locked in a struggle tumbled across the way, and a wagon blazed its way past, daring anyone to stand in its path. The overhanging balconies were filled to the brim with people who fired weapons and threatened each other. Wenches and rum barrels were everywhere, and the scum of the city was out in full force. Jack loved it. Or at least... he used to. Now, he just felt... conflicted.

"More importantly," he called over his shoulder to Turner's son, "It is indeed a sad life that has never breathed deep this sweet, proliferous bouquet that is Tortuga, savvy?" He snagged a cane from a passing drunk and looked at the boy. "What do you think?" he questioned with a grin, putting on a grand facade to hide his growing feeling of dread.

Will looked around, drinking it all in. The blacksmith was clearly taken aback by the sudden and drastic change of scenery.

"It'll linger," was all he said.

Jack swept his arm out in an introductory gesture, sweeping over the sight before them. "I'll tell you, mate, if every town in the world were like this one, no man would ever feel unwanted."

Just then, a vision from the past appeared in his field of vision.

Bugger.

Time to face the music, as it were.

Plastering on a confident expression, he called to the redhead who'd already taken notice of him.

"Ah, Scarlett!"

No sooner than the words had left his mouth, he was struck across the face. The woman hmphed and strode away with her nose in the air.

"Not sure I deserved that," he muttered, glancing at Will. The lad didn't look impressed.

By the time Jack had recovered and turned around, another woman, this one a blonde, had stormed over.

"Giselle," he offered, hoping this encounter would fare better than the last.

The woman was radiating anger as she smirked, portraying a false calm, and demanded, "Who was she?"

Oh. So she'd witnessed that unfortunate incident... Maybe he could feign innocence?

"What?"

Though Jack was prepared for the blow, it did nothing to stop the sting.

"I may have deserved that," he admitted.

Jack had had enough of this. It was time to find Gibbs.

-

The man was exactly where Jack expected. Some things never change.