Chapter 20: The Place Where it Happened

Aria's hand rested over Jack's heart, slipped into his shirt sometime during the night. With the rest of her draped across him, she slept peacefully. Jack couldn't help but admire her. Having spent months apart from her, he meant to cherish every instant they could spend alone. Sleepily, she nuzzled closer into the crook of his neck. His right arm was beginning to go numb from her relaxed weight, but Jack found he hardly cared or noticed. No, he was far too preoccupied with how peaceful her face seemed. The gentle cupid's bow of her lips called to him, and he let his thumb brush along her jaw. At his touch, she pressed against him, tangling her legs further with his. Her hand at his heart set it beating even faster.

Jack gently drew her closer, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead, causing her to stir. It hadn't been his intention to wake her, but he couldn't deny that the sight of her sapphire eyes sent a wave of warmth through him.

A soft murmur of his name escaped her lips, and he simply had to kiss her.

"Jack..." she said again with a soft giggle, more awake now.

"Aria?" he replied.

In her eyes, he saw light and love, and it gave him great hope as he thought of the contrast it made to her demeanor of just days ago. With the hand she had rested over his heart, she gently traced small circles with her thumb.

"It's so good to feel your heartbeat again..." she whispered. "Such a small thing, but I didn't even realize how much I missed it..."

Aria looked at him earnestly.

"Beckett's curse stole so much from us... but I regret that it also stole away our time together."

Jack rested his hand over hers above his heart.

"He's stolen nothing from us, love. I'm not going anywhere."

They both knew good and well that it was highly unlikely they'd be able to find either the souls or the chest in time, with the compass not settling for either of them in their conflicted grief. Although that didn't stop them from speaking as though everything would be alright.

Aria gave him a sad smile and took her hand from his chest to entwine their fingers together.

"Of course you aren't," she said softly.

Silence hung there around them for a moment. It was a soft silence; not uncomfortable, but layered with many emotions.

Jack brushed his thumb over Aria's knuckles, watching as she stared longingly out the cabin windows. They no longer needed to stay close to the shoreline. At least, not for the next three days, anyways, thanks to Jones' deal. In the distance, the lights of Tortuga shone like a beacon, drawing the Pearl and her crew into its light as though a moth to a flame. When Jack felt Aria shudder, he drew her closer and she hid her face in his chest.

This was the place where their son had died. This was where Beckett had committed his most grievous offense. Brand him, outcast him, and even kill him... but harm his family, and Jack would stop at nothing for vengeance.

He let his fingers brush through Aria's hair, and she clutched at the fabric of his shirt. Her hand brushed against the chain on which he still kept that locket, after all these years, and she slowly looked over to it. Jack cupped her hand in his and opened the locket with practiced ease to reveal the miniature portrait of Aria.

"I was a different person back then," she murmured.

"We both were," Jack said simply.