Chapter 5: Parley, Cap'n?

The angelic figurehead loomed over the small boat as they approached the ghost ship, the sounds of battle booming all around. Aria's discomfort regarding the pirates was only outweighed by her concern for Elizabeth's safety over anything else. This was different than being "threatened" by Jack earlier. Here, these men really would kill her if she said the wrong thing, and even if she did everything right, they still might do unspeakable things on a whim.

The pirate who had insisted on honoring the Code was surprisingly gentlemanly as he helped the two girls onto the deck, but he returned to carelessness as he pulled them towards an intimidating man standing at the helm.

"I didn't know we was takin' on captives," a deep voice boomed. A man with gold earrings and studded piercings around his eyes glowered down at the two who had brought the Swann girls aboard. By the way he carried himself, Aria figured him to be the bosun.

"Th-they's invoked the right of parley with Cap'n Barbossa!" the one started to explain.

Aria stepped forward, deciding it would be better if she explained. "I am here to nego--"

The man struck her across the face, cutting her off and causing Elizabeth to gasp sharply. Aria, however, was surprised to find that it hadn't fazed her, but rather served as only a small annoyance.

"You will speak when spoken to!"

The bosun's hand was grabbed tightly by the intimidating man who had been at the helm. "And ye will not lay a hand on those under the protection of parlay..." The captain's words were quiet, but the threat was obvious.

"Aye, sir..." he said, though obviously displeased.

The captain smiled patronizingly, then turned to address Aria. "My apologies, miss."

"Captain Barbossa..." She took a deep breath. "I am here to negotiate the cessation of hostilities against Port Royal."

Evidently Elizabeth trusted that Aria knew what she was doing. She stood back, a silent observer.

Barbossa considered her with a shrewd look. "There were a lot'a long words in there, miss," he laughed. "We're not but humble pirates! What is it you want?"

"I want you to leave and never come back," she replied simply.

The pirates all laughed.

Some small part of her questioned why she had gotten herself - and Elizabeth - into this mess in the first place. Who did she think she was to command a dangerous pirate?

But she daren't back down now.

"Hm... I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. 'Means no," he clarified.

As if acting by someone else's will, Aria tore the medallion from her neck, her boldness shocking even herself.

"Very well..." Marching to the edge of the ship, she dangled the gold piece over the rail. The pirates watched her nervously. "I'll drop it..." she taunted.

The pirates' faces clearly conveyed their panic, but Barbossa recovered much more quickly, plastering that confident smirk upon his face once more. "Me holds are a'burstin' with swag, that bit of shine matters to us?" Then he dropped the facade. "Why?"

"It's what you've been searching for..." Aria stated.

"I recognize this ship!" Elizabeth suddenly broke her silence.

Aria shot her sister a glare seemed to have no effect. What was she doing? Aria didn't know if the reason the ship was familiar to Elizabeth was because she remembered the Wicked Wench or if she could have spotted the ghost ship on that voyage, but her question was quickly answered.