six

CHAPTER SIX:

" EXPECTATIONS "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

1522 A.D| tenochtitlan

THE REMAINING Eternals stayed silent as Rhea froze by the temple steps, she was hunched over with a hand pressed against her mouth as she muffled her cries.

Phastos couldn't bare to see her like that anymore, a fragment of the person she once was. Every Eternal had their own individual power and with that came a weakness, it being either physical or mental.

Unfortunately, Rhea's only and easily exploited weakness was Druig.

Phastos wrapped his arms around Rhea's trembling body and held her close, everytime he tried to move her she planted her feet down.

"What about Druig?" She asked hiccuping.

"He made his choice," phastos whispered.

Rhea glanced back at the retreating army and bought a hand to her eyes wiping away the tears as she picked up the pieces of her heart.

"Take me away..."

《<>》

2023 | new orleans

A HAND ripped Rhea from the belly of the flames pulling her out into the brisk night air, she immediately inhaled a fresh breath of air - one that she hadn't noticed she was holding.

Rhea fixed her posture, her lungs didn't feel heavy anymore, the weight had shifted from one important organ to another.

"What the hell were you doing?" The accent was familiar, she turned her head and came face to face with a concerned Sersi.

There was a moment of silence, the woman was struggling to process the arrival of her old friend. It had been nearly a century without so much of a word.

Rhea threw her arms around Sersi breathing heavily as she clung to the safety of the woman's embrace, "when did you get here?"

Sersi responded but even as her lips moved, Rhea's eyes caught sight of the man lingering behind her, his bearded face angering her.

"What the hell is he doing here?" She shouted stepping forward, Sersi's arm stretches out catching Rhea's wrist quickly.

"We have something to tell you," Sersi spoke with a solemn expression.

The world had stopped spinning, every soul on earth evaporating into nothing as Rhea's mind reeled following the delivery of the news.

She slapped a hand over her mouth and suppressed her shaky breaths, "Ajax is gone." Rhea repeated for what felt like the millionth time in five minutes.

Sersi took a step back as the element wielding celestial threw her head back and yelled out.

"I thought we eliminated the deviants," she exclaimed. "We were fools. We were too quick to give up and live our own lives, now Ajax has paid the price with her life!"

The world had not treated the prime eternal kindly, she was too kind to live on a world with greedy, selfish mortals.

Perhaps, the deviant killing her was a merciful act.

Rhea inhaled slowly, "what do we do next?"

"We reunite, bring the group back together."

She stands and crosses her arms exhaling shakily, "you mean- everyone?"

Sersi understood how uncomfortable it would be for certain members of the party, however, they were all going to have to sacrifice something like she herself had sacrificed her current boyfriend to end the deviants once and for all.

Rhea has barely acknowledged the young sprite who waited for the eternal to turn and shower her with the love that she had been accustomed to over the centuries, however, so caught up in her own internal panic she had shut out everyone around her including the girl she considered her sister.

"If this is happening, I can't be near him."

Sersi and Ikaris glanced at each other momentarily, the eternal leading the charge was worried for her family but the man was glad that he was not alone in hesitation to locate their mind controlling ally, his cousin as fate would have it.

Rhea's hand snuck up into her shirt and revealed a pendant that had been resting underneath it, Sersi boggled at the sight opened her mouth to speak but instead bit her tongue suppressing any statement that she would most likely live to regret saying.

They weren't even sure if Rhea had intentionally reached for it as a way of calming herself down, it seemed more instinctive than anything.

"Where are we going first?" She finally asked easing some of the simmering tension.

"Kingo, we already know where he is," Sprite finally speaks holding up a cellular device that reflected the face of their friend.

Rhea sighed unable to stop the chuckle that fell.

"You've gotta be kidding me."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬