nine

CHAPTER NINE:

" I WAS YOUR PEOPLE "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

2023 | peru

THE GROUP trudged through the rainforest some of them sweating profusely as their bodies adjusted to the humid atmosphere, one in particular.

The bronze pendant rested under the fabric of her shirt as Rhea twisted a silver ring around her index finger chewing on her lower lip.

Ikarus inched closer to the girls side, his eyebrows knitted together as he struggled to get a read on her emotion, however, she seemed void of anything.

The slight tremble of her delicate hands and scrunch of the nose was all the tell that they needed, Rhea was absolutely terrified of what this interaction was going to become.

"It is very nice here, sir." Karun spoke holding a camera, the device recording their surroundings.

"Don't be fooled," Kingo warned "Ignorance is bliss."

"Hola," a random working villager approached Rhea with a warm smile, she peered into the man's eyes.

"Hola," she replied kindly.

"Estamos buscando a Druig, dónde està?" Sprite questioned another villagers whilst the others stood aside waiting.

The man was quiet for a moment, "Y cómo conoces a Druig?"

"Somo Amigos, de la universidad." Sprite was fast with her replies, Rhea hummed impressed by the fast paced responses as she herself struggled very slightly with recalling the language having spent so much time in other foreign places.

The man turned around to look at the two, his eyes glowing a familiar shade of gold.

"Hello Sprite," the man spoke and Rhea immediately felt her breath get caught in the back of her throat as the familiar voice sent a rush of chills down her spine.

His eyes moved from the woman in a child's body to her, he sighed stilling for a split second before speaking again, "mi amor."

Every fibre, nerve and muscle in Rhea's body tensed up as the words rolled smoothly from the man's tongue, she exhaled slowly fighting back the desire to reach out and have him in her arms.

"Come out, we don't have enough time for this!" Instead she went for the stern route, her stomach swarmed with a typhoon of butterflies.

She then noticed that the entire village was gathered around, standing with their arms at their side as their eyes reflected the color of his.