🥀

Normal POV

Kortez hissed as he threw back another shot, gritting his teeth as the liquor burned his mouth and throat. He coughed, covering his mouth with his fist as he patted his chest.

"Damn, Kor, have some oxygen with your alcohol poisoning", his friend Terri muttered, giving him a worrying side eye.

He just waved off their snark, grunting aloud before waving the shot girl over for another round.

"Okay Kortez what the hell is wrong with you. You're drinking like a sailor with a sad backstory." Jordan, one of his other friends asked, side eying his liquor guzzling friend. Sure, Kortez could put away a drink or two usually, but at the rate he was going, alcohol poisoning was gonna be knocking on his door.

He just ignored the quip, dragging his hand down his face to regain some sense of composure, "You know my neighbor?", he blurted out, speech slurred from the warm alcohol in his bloo, "Tha one I told you about?" He didn't even know why he considering telling them about this. Blame it on the alcohol.

Cayenne nodded, "The sexy asian guy? Zeid? Zachary?", she suggested as he threw back another shot despite their urging. They were going to cut him off in a minute.

Kortez sucked on a lime to chase his shot, face puckered before speaking, "Zaine", he corrected, rolling his shoulders back as the alcohol warmed in his belly, "yeah, him."

He went on ranting and rambling to his friends about the seductive Asian man who had not only manifested across the hall from him but also his imagination. He left out the part about him being in his dreams. He knew they would think he was crazy because he thought he was crazy whenever he thought about it. These last couple months have been chaotic and left him high strung and slightly paranoid. He needed anything that could properly distracted him and tonight that would be Hennessy and Jack.

He was people watching, reaching for another drink when he froze mid-motion, "Oh my god", he murmured, face physically draining as if he'd seen a ghost.

He friends turned to him, wirry written across their facing at the sudden outburst, "Oh my god what? What happened?", Cayenne questioned, moving her attention away from Jordan who had disappeared into the crowd earlier. She was the designated drunk driver, except with the drunk part included.

Kortez' face burned with a warm flush. He gulped weakly as his inability to breath had returned. "Th- that's him", he whispered to them, eyes still focused on the man hiding in the shadows.

"Who?", Terri asked, looking at their friend quizically.

Kortez snapped out of his daze with a groan, turning his attention back to them. "Him!", reminded them harshly. Who did they think he was talking about? Jesus? "My neighbor; he's right there", he hissed, pointing in the direction he had seen him near the wall. He tried to ignore how his hand shook as as he raised his hand.

Cayenne tensed, head shooting in that direction. She wanted nothing more than to see the man who Kortez wouldn't shut the fuck up about. He have better been as handsome as he'd said. She narrowed her eyebrows as she stared before shaking her head, "I don't see anybody." The other agreed as well, sitting back down properly.

Kortez frowned at their response. Where they blind or somwthing? "What are you talking about? He's right- ", he looked back over only to find no-one there, "there." It was now Kortez' turn to be baffled; he blinked blankly, confusion written over his face. "H-... he was just right there", he swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat, squeezing his eyes shut tight. 'God was I going crazy? What was wrong with me? I'm seeing things.'