8

"Day four hundred and nineteen, Rei." Muzan stroked his wife's hair as she laid quietly on the bed. "Fifty-four days more than they said. I am sure you have many more in you."

"No, Muzan, darling, I do not." Her voice was raspy and her skin was sullen. "Have you thought about what you're going to do?... After..."

"Mourn my wife. But that's not what you should think of. Think of how you will finally be freed from this bed and the pain."

"You should find someone else. You're still young," I am always young. My perfect body does not age. He thought to himself. "I robbed you of the years you could have had children."

"There will be no glory days, you are right in that, but Rei, you robbed me of nothing. When I first met you, I was enamored with your perfection. Your personality was refreshingly calm and that was exactly what I needed in life. I admire your pureness, and the power that comes with that. Even now, never once have I heard you complain or ask 'why me?'. Instead, you've had a brave complexion and have never once lost yourself in pity or self-loathing. That in itself is what I love about you. I married you not for the convenience, but in knowing I would be proud to stand besides you. I was proud when we married, I am proud now and I will be proud even in your last breaths."

"Yes, but--"

"There is no buts." He stroked her face, he was almost jealous of her porcelain-like skin, and kissed her forehead. "How has the nurse been? I do wish I could stay, but work takes me traveling, as you know."

"She has been good. I only wish I could have had a child for us who could take care of me now." Rei sighed. She had many regrets in her life now that it was going to be cut short. It wasn't as if she hadn't wished for children even before her illness, but it never happened. Perhaps, she thought, it was related. She was no doctor however, no did she have an inclination to become one. If she could have opted out from her own appointments, she figured she would have done that. Once she knew she was dying, what else was there to say? The rest of her life would be up to her.

Muzan felt no guilt in lying to Rei. She had failed to provide him with children and even though he had contemplating eating her early on and starting over, he couldn't help but enjoy the benefits that came with being affiliated with her family. Rei had come from a long ling of Yakuza bosses and being related to her held its own power. She wasn't in any way in line for the throne, but people related him to the family. And he liked it.

"Perhaps you could bring your little sister over again. I know you said she stays far away with your cousins, but it was invigorating having a young soul around." Rei laughed a barking, coughing laugh. "Especially when she calls you Daddy... it's as if we had our own..."

"An excellent idea. I will inquire, Rei." He would inquire, but you almost always went into a huff about it. It wasn't that you had any real issue with Rei-- who would cause problems for a dying woman?-- but your daughter always came home asking questions that you didn't really want to answer, and that Muzan simply ignored. And he didn't want you in a huff. Especially not since he was taking you on a trip soon.