Chapter 16

The Lucario was pushed back enough that Chloe was able to get in between us both. She had her back to me and was glaring at her father with annoyance and another emotion I couldn't identify.

"I think that's enough father" she said that last part a bit slower to further show her annoyance and anger with his actions. I looked over at the female Lucario, Chloe's mother and found her to be smiling? What happened to make her smile, unless she enjoyed the fight that much, or maybe it was connected to her daughter's actions?

My thoughts were torn from her as the father relaxed his stance and the ends of his stick seemed to flicker out of existence before the bottom portion of them shot out and thickened to match the rest of the sticks thickness. He then reattached the ends and put the rod on his back before bowing low to his daughter.

"I am sorry for my actions Chloe. I got a little carried away and didn't expect your new partner to be so skilled" he said and I cocked my head in confusion at him, "'new partner', was there other before me that failed his test? And what was this feeling I got thinking about others traveling with Chloe?

"I—fine. I'll forgive you this time. I'm going to go train a little with the others, but if I find out you did this again after I leave I'll—" Chloe growled at her father but stopped mid-sentence and stormed off.

I stepped aside and watched her go, confused, was she acting this way because of me?

"You know. You're the first Pokémon I've seen her get so flustered over" the female Lucario said as I turned towards her. She suddenly held out her hand out to me before apologizing on the male's behalf.

"I am sorry that my husband put you through that, he just does things without thinking sometimes and while you need a little training. You have very strong fighting instincts and a strong battle-sense"

I looked at her hand for a moment and then at her seeing that she was apparently the one that kept the male in check more often than Chloe did, and I took her paw.

———————————

Over the next half hour the two parents showed me around, where I would be staying, what they were doing here to begin with, and their names.

I learned that the mother's name was Sapphire, and the father's name was Azrill and he was 'a bit of work,' in her words anyways. She was usually the one to keep him in check and according to her stories he was always the one that went headfirst into most battles. Behaving in a way that's more like a brawler than an assassin.

Sapphire lead me around the outside area, going past several places of people doing different things. This was all on one mountain? How can all of these people fit up here?

"Anyways, usually Azrill beats the men that Chloe brings back black and blue, and even after training they usually aren't seen by someone worthy by him...or her" Sapphire looked at me and I tilted my head, looking away from a training area where darts were being constantly fired out of holes in the four walls surrounding one person. I would have to go there sometime, looked like fun.

"Huh I just realized that you caused Chloe to speak aloud instead of using telepathy for the first time in a long while. She must really appreciate you to break that vow of silence she had going" Sapphire said suddenly and I looked at her confused.

"Ah, she probably hasn't told you has she," after seeing me shake my head no she smiled and continued, "when Chloe was just a Riolu she had a bit of a traumatic experience with a Kadabra. She had apparently gotten lost somewhere in the city and her training under Shadow, as her first partner, had just started.