Chapter Eight - Rescue Exercises

After surviving the Crushing of UA, Morbius and the others waited in the starting arena for the other students to arrive. Soon enough, all of Class 1-A had advanced to the next stage of the Provisional License Exams. Soon enough, Mera spoke to the students.

Mera: The next test will be the last one. We will have you all perform rescue exercises as bystanders in this disaster site.

Kaminari/Mineta: Bystanders?

Toru: They're people who happen to be at the scene. We learned this in class, remember?

Yaoyorozu: It can also refer to ordinary citizens, though.

Mera: We will assume that those of you who have passed the first test have received your provisional licenses and test how well you can carry out suitable rescue procedures.

As Mera said this, a group of children and elderly people began entering the arena. X-23 was puzzled by this sight.

X-23: What's with the civilians? 

Mera: They are people who have undergone training to be professional people-in-need-of-rescue and are in high demand right now. The "Help Us Company," or "H.U.C." for short! The people from H.U.C. have dressed up as injured victims and are on standby throughout the disaster site. We will now have you all carry out their rescue. In addition, we will score your rescue based on points and if you have more points than the benchmark at the end of the exercises, then you pass. We will start in ten minutes.

With that, Morbius and the rest of Class 1-A prepared for the next round of the Provisional License Exams. In that time, Kirishima spoke with X-23. 

Kirishima: Good luck out there, Laura! 

X-23: You too, Eijiro. 

Kirishima: Let's go pass this exam and get our Hero Licenses!

Once more, Kirishima's passion made X-23 smile. She could always count on Kirishima to rouse the spirit. Soon enough, the second round of the Provisional License Exams had begun. All students who had passed the first test begin spreading out throughout the disaster area to rescue the civilians. X-23 ran through the disaster area. As she surveys her surroundings, she could see the students from the other schools performing exceptionally well, even more so than Class 1-A.

X-23: (Looks like the other students have more experience with rescue exercise than us.) 

X-23 thought about how the USJ was originally meant to help train Class 1-A on how to conduct rescue missions in various different environments. The attack from the League of Villains interrupted that. Despite the disadvantage her class had, X-23 was determined to pass the test. This determination was shared by the rest of Class 1-A, who were giving it their all. As X-23 moved through the disaster area, she could hear screaming in the distance. She ran to where the screaming was, which led her to a crumbling building. Without hesitation, X-23 breaks down the door and rushed inside. Once inside, it became clear that the building was on it's last legs. She soon sees a group of citizens trapped underneath some rubble.

Male Citizen: P...please! Help us! We're trapped!

X-23: Hold on! I'll get you out of here!

X-23 then walks to the rubble and begins slashing it to pieces with her claws. Once she clears enough of it, she lifts up what remained and helps the people out. 

X-23: On me! We're getting out of here!

As X-23 began escorting the civilians to safety, the entrance is saved in. As this happened, parts of the ceiling began to break apart. X-23 readied her claws and slashes them to pieces. 

Elderly Citizen: Bonus points for decisive action in a high risk situation.

With little time to process this, X-23 surveyed the area. Both the entrance and the exit were caved in. The fire ladder that would lead them to the rooftop was blocked off. Left with no other option, X-23 approached a nearby wall and slashes through the wall with her claws, creating a hole big enough for everyone. 

X-23: This way!

As X-23 led the civilians out of the building, the ground began to shake. X-23 looked around to see the Pro Hero Gang Orca and his sidekicks acting as Villains.

X-23: I knew this would be too easy. 

As X-23 said this, two of Gang Orca's sidekicks intercepted X-23. The situation immediately became tense.

Gang Orca Sidekick: End of the line Hero! Any last words? 

X-23 cracked her knuckles as she stood in front of the civilians. 

X-23: I'm the best there is at what I do and what I do isn't very nice. 

Quoting her father, X-23 lunged at the sidekicks and attacked them with her claws. Despite their best efforts, the sidekicks were no match for X-23's ferocity as she dispatches them with ease. Once the sidekicks were taken care of, X-23 regroups with the citizens and leads them to the safe area. This continued on until he was able to acquire the points needed to pass. Soon enough, the Provisional License Exams ended. Most of Class 1-A had passed the exams with the exception of Todoroki and Bakugo. Upon receiving their Hero Licenses, X-23 and Kirishima rejoiced. 

Kirishima: All right! We did it! We're licensed Pro Heroes now!

X-23: Looks like your hard work paid off. 

Kirishima: Our hard work, Laura. It's a shame Bakugo and Todoroki didn't get their Hero Licenses.

X-23: At least we got ours. 

Kirishima: I can't wait for us to be out in the streets saving people and fighting bad guys as Pros!

As Kirishima said that, he hugged X-23 tightly. X-23 couldn't help but chuckle at her boyfriend's passion. With that, X-23 had passed the Provisional License Exams and got her Hero License. But she knew that this was only the beginning and things were only going to get harder. Despite this, X-23 gladly welcomed any challenges that would come her way.