Chapter Ten - Hero Work Studies

After the events of the previous day, Class 1-A was waiting in their classroom for class to start. As they waited for class to start, Kirishima talked with X-23.

Kirishima: You okay, Laura? You took some pretty nasty hits from Mirio!

X-23: I'm fine, Eijiro. Don't forget that I have a healing factor.

Kirishima: Saves you the trip to Recovery Girl, especially with all the kinds of hits that you take!

X-23: Though I will say, Mirio's attacks packed one hell of a punch.

Soon enough, Aizawa walks into the class. When class starts, Aizawa gets right to the point, discussing what was previously mentioned when the Big Three visited their class.

Aizawa: The Hero Work Studies are a more serious version of your internships. They entail helping Pro agencies on the streets and with investigations. Your teachers and the principal discussed it at the faculty meeting and we call agreed that it's too soon and they should be cancelled.

Upon hearing this, there was a collective shock about this. Morbius as well as Yaoyorozu took note of Aizawa's words as they quickly deduced where Aizawa was going with this.

Aizawa: And with that in mind, the compromise is to be selective about participating agencies. So chose one with a proven track record, otherwise you won't be taking part.

It was clear that Aizawa was very hesitant about allowing his students to participate in the Hero Work Studies with all that has happened. As the class began to decide who they would intern, X-23 already knew who she planned to intern with. As she walked out of UA, Kirishima runs up to her.

Kirishima: Hey Laura! Did you figure out who you're gonna intern with?

X-23: I'm going to be interning with my Dad again. What about you?

Kirishima: Tamaki actually invited me to join up with Fat Gum's agency!

X-23: My Dad worked with Fat Gum a few times.

Kirishima: I'm looking forward to working with Fat Gum! No matter what happens, I'll give it my all! You can count on that!

X-23 smiled at her boyfriend's confidence and determination. X-23 kissed her boyfriend's cheek. With that, X-23 and Kirishima parted ways to make their way to the Agencies that they signed up with. For X-23, that meant simply going home. When she made it back home, she saw Wolverine gearing up.

Wolverine: How was UA, Laura?

X-23: We just started our Hero Work Studies.

Wolverine: And you decided to join up with your old man again?

X-23: That's the plan unless you got something else in mind.

Wolverine chuckles as he continues preparing for his patrol. X-23's mind soon falls on a more serious matter.

X-23: Have you found anything on Daken?

Wolverine: Unfortunately no. The trail went cold right after All Might's retirement. Couldn't find anything on Victor or the others. They've been keeping quiet.

As Wolverine updated her on his search for Daken, X-23 became frustrated. The fact that Daken managed to disappear without a trace deeply angered her. Wolverine sighed, seeing the frustration on his daughter.

Wolverine: We'll find him, Laura. And when we do, we'll find out why he did what he did.

X-23 said nothing as she remembered the promise she made to herself. The promise that when she found Daken, she would kill him. Wolverine could see the look in X-23's eyes. The look of someone out for blood. It was a look Wolverine was all too familiar with. 

Wolverine: I....I know what you're going through. Trust me, I've been there. But before you commit yourself to whatever road you plan on walking, you need to be absolutely sure that you're ready. Because once you go down that path, there ain't no going back. I know what I'm talking about. Took me a long time to learn this: There's nothing wrong with going out and doing what you gotta do. Nothing at all. But when you're lost, you come home. You don't run away.

As Wolverine said this, X-23 took a moment to think on her current path. While she was dead set on killing Daken, she didn't quite know what would happen when she found him. She turned to her father, knowing what he has gone through. Even though she did not know what would happen when she finds Daken, she remained steadfast in her promise. 

X-23: I know what I'm doing, Dad. Whatever happens, this will end. One way or another.

Wolverine took note of his daughter's words. 

Wolverine: Hell, these days, you're too damn much like me. That's the problem. Too damn headstrong. Too damn angry. Too damn scary for your own damn good. But I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, Laura. Whatever happens, be sure that you stand by your actions, Laura.

X-23 fell silent on Wolverine's words. While she remained willing to follow through on her promise to kill Daken, X-23 was impacted by Wolverine's words.

Wolverine: Enough about that. Gear up. We're heading out. I'm waiting for a contact of mine to follow through on a little investigation we've been working on. 

X-23: What kind of investigation? 

Wolverine: You'll know soon enough.

With that, X-23 began interning for Wolverine once more as a part of the Hero Work Studies. For now, Wolverine and X-23 would continue doing what they do best. What they didn't know was that they would quickly be put to the test as a dangerous threat looms in the shadows, ready to make their move.