Chapter Twenty Six - The Calm Before The Storm

Outside the Jaku General Hospital, Wolverine joined the main assault team for the attack. As Wolverine began surveying the hospital, Endeavor spoke with Detective Tsukauchi about the source of the intel. 

Endeavor: Was it him? Who figured it out it was this hospital? Where is he and what's he up to now? 

Tsukauchi: That's...classified for now. Not that I know who you mean by him....

Endeavor: Classified, hah.

Endeavor walks away as he doesn't press the subject any further. After that, he meets up with Wolverine. 

Endeavor: Anything, Logan?

Wolverine: Hospital's been pretty quiet. 

Endeavor: Good. We'll make our move once we get the signal. 

Wolverine: Kind of hard to believe that we figured out the exact day of the meeting to this exact hospital. Whoever gave us in this intel must be pretty close to the higher ups. Makes you wonder....

Endeavor: Wonder what?

Wolverine pauses as he continues to survey the hospital. His instincts told him something was off. There was something about this whole operation that didn't sit right with him. Despite this, Wolverine kept it to himself. 

Wolverine: Just instincts. 

As Endeavor walked away, Wolverine glanced over to Aizawa and Present Mic. He then approaches the two. 

Wolverine: Looks like we're about to walk into the meatgrinder. 

Aizawa: It won't be easy, but it has to be done. 

Wolverine: I know this is personal for the two of you. Detective Tsukauchi told me about Kurogiri. 

Aizawa and Present Mic fell silent at the mention of Kurogiri.

Present Mic: What that man did to Oboro....it's unforgivable. He's gotten away with making all those....monsters for too long. 

Wolverine: Don't let your feelings get in the way, Hizashi. We need to assume that this hospital is crawling with Nomu. 

Aizawa: We're not rookies, Logan. We know what we're doing. 

As Aizawa reassured Wolverine that he and Present Mic were fine, Wolverine's mind fell on Daken. Even from where he was, he could pick up Daken's scent. 

Wolverine: Damn.....

Aizawa: What? 

Wolverine: Looks like my hunch was right. I'm picking up Akihiro's scent. He's in the hospital. 

Present Mic: What are you going to do when you find him?

Wolverine: The only thing I can do: take him down and bring him in for questioning. But I'd be lying if I said I'm prepared for it. Despite what Akihiro did, he's...he's still my son. 

Wolverine then took a moment to reflect on how he raised Akihiro. While he never considered himself to be the perfect father, Wolverine had done everything he could to raise both Daken and X-23 right. He wondered where it all went wrong with Daken. There was nothing that would've indicated that Daken would've done what he did. At this point, Aizawa and Present Mic could see just how much this was effecting Wolverine. 

Aizawa: Are you going to be alright, Logan? 

Wolverine: I'll manage. 

Present Mic: Maybe you should sit this one out. We can....

Wolverine: Daken is more dangerous than you realize. Shota, you of all people know what he's capable of. I'm the only person here who can take on Akihiro. And with Weapon X being thrown in the mix, I'm the foremost expert on that. But there's been something that's been bothering me for some time. 

Aizawa: And that would be? 

Wolverine: Creed, Deathstrike and Omega Red at the USJ. Daken. The Weapon X Program. None of this can be a coincidence. 

Present Mic: You're saying there's something connecting all of this? 

Wolverine paused as he pondered over that very thought. It was clear to him that there was something much bigger at play. It was as if something or someone was manipulating events for a purpose that he has yet to uncover. Whatever it may be, it was clear that all of this was leading to something. 

Aizawa: Logan? 

Wolverine: Something's wrong about all of this. I don't like it. My instincts are telling me something bad is going to happen. 

Aizawa and Present Mic took note of Wolverine's reactions. They had never seen Wolverine express such worry or uncertainty. It was clear to them at Wolverine was uneasy about the whole situation. 

Aizawa: One way or another, this ends. 

Wolverine: Yeah. I hope you're right. 

With that, Aizawa and Present Mic left Wolverine alone to prepare the mission. As Wolverine prepared to for the upcoming attack, Wolverine began to put the pieces together. But as he did so, a name that Daken spoke during their fight in Deika City echoed in his mind. 

Wolverine: Romulus.....

That name was all it took for Wolverine to realize who was orchestrating all of this. Romulus had gathered Wolverine's worst enemies and set them on the USJ. Romulus had convinced Daken to betray him. Romulus had arranged to have the Weapon X Program rebuilt for his own purposes. But there was still one lingering question that haunted Wolverine: why? As Wolverine pieced together Romulus's role in all of this, he turned to face all the Pro Heroes that were about to storm the Jaku General Hospital. It soon fell on X-23. He knew that if things went wrong with the raid on the Gunga Mountain Villa, then X-23 and her team would no doubt face several Villains. 

Wolverine: (Be careful, Laura...)

With that, all Wolverine could do was mentally prepare for the attack on the Jaku General Hospital. But what Wolverine didn't realize was that this battle would send devastating ripples across Hero Society that even the retirement of All Might would pale in comparison.