Chapter Twenty One - The Weapon X Legacy

Weeks have passed since the Joint Training Exercises. During that time, the Hero Work Studies resumed. X-23 decided to resume her studies under Wolverine while Kirishima continued his Work Studies under Fat Gum. When X-23 and Gabby arrived at Wolverine's office, he was finishing a phone call. 

Wolverine: Damn bureaucrats. 

X-23: What's going on? 

Wolverine: Well I just got off the phone with the Hero Public Safety Commission. They've been on my ass ever since Akihiro's defection. 

X-23: What did they say? 

Wolverine: Long story short, they're not too happy about Akihiro still being on the loose. But with someone trying to jumpstart the Weapon X Program again, Akihiro will just have to wait. 

As Wolverine said this, he turned to Gabby. 

Wolverine: Gabby, I need you to tell me about the men we rescued you from. First, can you tell me what the men were trying to accomplish?

As Wolverine asked her this, Gabby tried to recollect her time in the facility. Doing so proved difficult as everything was hazy to her. After a moment, Wolverine decided to ask a different question. 

Wolverine: Did they mention the name Wolverine?

Gabby: They did. One of the scientists said that I could be just like you. 

Upon hearing this, Wolverine and X-23 became disturbed. While in Gabby's eyes, it seemed like an innocent remark, it was much darker in reality. Both X-23 and Wolverine knew that whoever was trying to restart the Weapon X Program was trying to create a weapon. A weapon that would kill without remorse or hesitation. Hearing that they were trying to turn Gabby into something like that disgusted them. 

X-23: I'm....I'm sorry....

Gabby: Sorry? Why are you sorry? I want to be like Wolverine! You too!

Wolverine: Let's....get back to the questions. When we rescued you from the facility, did they mention about where they might be going? 

As Gabby said this, she tried to recall the events leading up to her rescue. At first, she couldn't recall anything. But then she remembers overhearing a conversation between two scientists hours before her rescue. The conversation itself was mostly hazy, but she remembered a word. 

Gabby: I....I heard a word. Dei....Dei....

Wolverine: Deika? 

Gabby: That's right! Deika! I heard the word Deika! 

X-23: What does Deika mean? 

Wolverine: She's referring to Deika City. That's not good. That's Meta Liberation Army territory. 

X-23: Meta Liberation Army? 

Wolverine: A large, powerful Villain organization that follows the philosophy that the free usage of Quirks is a basic human right and emphasizes liberation over regulation. I've been investigating them for years, but I could never find anything concrete. Deika City has long been known as the "Liberated District" where 90% of the inhabitants, including the Heroes, are soldiers for liberation. 

As Wolverine said this, he immediately became concerned. If the Weapon X Program fell into the hands of the Meta Liberation Army, then the repercussions would be catastrophic. 

Wolverine: Shit. We're going to Deika City. We can't let the Weapon X program fall into their hands. 

X-23: Understood. 

Gabby: I can help!

Wolverine: Thanks, but you'll be safer here. 

Gabby: But I want to help! 

X-23: I can't believe I'm saying this, but we're going to need the help. She's....she's got our healing factor. 

As X-23 said this, Wolverine took a moment to think on this. While he didn't want to bring Gabby along, Wolverine knew that walking into Deika City would be extremely dangerous. Not only that, but Gabby would know exactly what to look for, even if it was based on sight. Left with no other choice, Wolverine relents. 

Wolverine: Fine.

Gabby: Alright! Thanks, Laura! You're the coolest!

Wolverine: But when we get to Deika City, I want you to do EXACTLY what Laura and I tell you to do. Got it? 

Gabby: Got it!

With that, Wolverine along with X-23 and Gabby packed up for their mission to investigate Deika City for the Weapon X Program. Meanwhile at a bar in Deika City, Daken walks into the bar and takes a seat. As soon as he did, Daken was quickly approached by a group of people. One of whom appeared to be a Pro Hero.

Pro Hero: What brings you here?

Daken: Business. 

Pro Hero: What kind of business? 

Daken: Weapon X.

As Daken said this, there was an uneasy silence. Daken soon scoffs. 

Daken: The Meta Liberation Arrmy: an organization built on the ideas of Destro. The idea that the free use of Quirks is a basic Human right.

Pro Hero: I see you're well informed, stranger.

There was another tense moment of silence. Daken said nothing as he surveyed the entire room. After a moment, the Pro Hero glances to Daken.

Pro Hero: Don't I know you from somewhere?

Daken said nothing as he glared at the Pro Hero. Daken glanced over to the others in the bar. Some of those people were making a specific gesture at them by making an L with their hands and placing the thumb on their foreheads. 

Pro Hero: I'm going to have to ask you to leave, mister. These people....don't take kindly to outsiders sticking their noses in places that they don't belong.

Daken: Very well. 

Without warning, Daken kills the Pro Hero with his claws. Daken then proceeds to kill everyone else in the bar. When it was over, Daken was standing over the bloodied corpses of dozens. 

Daken: Pathetic.

With that, Daken exits the bar. In that moment, a collision course was set for a bitter family reunion in the Meta Liberation Army stronghold of Deika City.