Chapter Twenty Five - A Quiet Beginning

In the aftermath of the destruction of Deika City, Wolverine continued his search for Daken. At the same time, X-23 was looking after Gabby while continuing her studies as a Hero. One day, Aizawa calls Wolverine for a meeting at UA. Wolverine entered the meeting place where a large gathering of Pro Heroes and Police Officers was. Detective Naomasa Tsukauchi then speaks about a doctor. 

Tsukauchi: Kyudai Garaki. Quirkless. The founder of Jaku General Hospital and its current chairman of the board. He championed the idea of Quirk-based community medical care and started doing philanthropic work soon after opening the hospital. That meant building orphanages and nursing homes throughout the country, as well as partnering with private hospitals and clinics. On the surface, the doctor comes across as a kind man. He's respected and even admired.

Rock Lock: How do we know he's involved?

Tsukauchi: I sent someone in undercover after receiving intel from the Safety Commission. He found a restricted area within the hospital. None of the staff knew its purpose.

The Detective then shows everyone a picture of the room in question. In the photo was a small Nomu.

Wolverine: So he's using the hospital as a front to create those freaks. 

Rock Lock: Sounds like we got enough evidence to take this guy down. 

Tsukauchi: It's not that easy. It would be easy to arrest the doctor since he's a public figure. But if we act rashly, the Paranormal Liberation Front will enact countermeasures. The last thing we want is a repeat of the widespread devastation in Hosu or Kamino. Those events traumatized the public and we lost too many good people on our side. Sure, we were able to apprehend All For One. But it was at the cost of our number one. All Might was forced to retire. Therefore, we'll face this situation with every available resource at our disposal. 

Wolverine: I agree. We'll need to be smart about this. The last thing we need is to kick up the hornet's nest needlessly. I take it you have a plan, Detective? 

They plan to split the Heroes up into two primary teams, Team Endeavor which will secure Kyudai at the Jaku Hospital, and Team Edgeshot, which will storm the Gunga Mountain Villa, the Front's hideout, and have them happen simultaneously. In addition, they intend to deploy U.A. High School students as logistical support in the rear guard for both teams. Wolverine decides that he would join Endeavor's team in assaulting the Jaku Hospital. After the meeting, Wolverine meets up with X-23. 

X-23: How did it go, Dad?

Wolverine: We've just received reports that the that the commanders of the Paranormal Liberation Front are all assembled at the Gunga Mountain Villa. A large task force of Heroes have been assembled for this mission. Along with that, we have uncovered the bastard behind the Nomu.

Upon hearing this, X-23 was stunned at this. She knew that this attack could end in either a stunning victory for Heroes or in total disaster.

X-23: If all the commanders are at this Villa, then they'll be well defended.

Wolverine: Which is why we have two teams prepared for this assault. The main team will assault the Villa and capture as many of them as possible. If we can capture all the leaders, then we can eliminate the Paranormal Liberation Front before it was a chance to grow into a bigger threat. Our main objective is the doctor. 

X-23: What about Daken? 

Wolverine: My hunch is telling me that Daken might be at the Hospital with the "good doctor". The doctor might even be responsible for the resurgence of Weapon X. 

X-23: I'm ready when you are, Dad. 

Wolverine: You're not coming with me, kid. You'll be joining the Backup Team on the Mountain Raid. You'll help your classmates provide backup in case the Villains try to get away.

X-23 were taken aback like this. She expected to be fighting side by side with her father.

X-23: What?! But....

Wolverine: Something's not right about all of this and I don't like it. My gut is telling me something very bad is about to happen and I don't want you to get caught up in it if it does. 

X-23: But I can handle whatever they throw at me, Dad! I can....

Wolverine gave his daughter a stern look, the most stern he has ever been.

Wolverine: We're walking into a meat grinder. There's a good chance that no matter what happens, some of us may not be coming back. Your classmates will need you. 

X-23 was unsure about this. While she wanted to fight side by side with her father, X-23 also knew that her classmates would benefit from her assistance. Wolverine could see the uncertainty in his daughter. 

Wolverine: It's going to be okay, Laura. I need you to trust me on this. 

X-23: I know, but it doesn't feel right playing cleanup while you go fight the main threat. What if Daken....

Wolverine: If I run into Akihiro, I'll deal with him. If any Villain escapes, then they'll be back to cause more damage. This may be our best chance to take down the League before they can do serious damage. 

With that, Wolverine and X-23 set out on their mission with Wolverine joining the Raid on the Jaku General Hospital while X-23 joined the Backup Team of the raid on the Gunga Mountain Villa. But what no one realized was that this mission would forever change the course of Hero Society.