Chapter 1: Birthday Gone Wrong

PERCY

PERCY AND ANNABETH WOKE UP to the sound of Percy's phone ringing. It was his new favourite song Remember This by the Jonas Brothers (song above).

Percy let out a groan as he woke up and sat upright on his bed, leaning his head towards the head rest. He quickly clicked the volume button on the side and the phone muted itself. He then saw that it was a video call from his mom, Sally Jackson-Blofis. Her and Paul won't be able to make it as Paul has an inter school event which he can't miss as he is the principal now. He got promoted last month when the old principal retired. She was old. She had been the principal since Percy's time at Goode, which was around a decade ago!

His mom on the other hand has been in Boston since the 15th as she was invited to a Prestigious Author Conference. She was gonna cancel it when she found out that the event clashed with Percy's birthday, but he said that she shouldn't miss such an opportunity and go. Birthdays come and go every year, but this conference took place once in every five years. Well, it was supposed to take place last year. Like everything around the world, the conference got postponed. Surprise surprise.

Ugh. Corona. Percy and Annabeth had been infected by it last year. As soon as they started showing symptoms, Percy asked his mom if she could take Zoë. She happily agreed. Percy had it easy. He got clear in a week. It wasn't that simple for his wife. She got quite severe and had to be admitted. She was in there for a whole week. It was perhaps the most worried and stressful week of Percy's life. Yet. He shuddered at the memories and slid the thought off of his mind. He was getting distracted and off topic. Again.

Back to the present, he looked over at Annabeth. She was still asleep, but started stirring a bit, then she was back to her peaceful self. He smiled and picked up the number he saved as "Mom💙"

He was greeted by his mom. She was in a cab. Though the image had a few pixels, he could make out the features clearly. Sally was dressed quite formally. Her wavy long dark brown hair, which had a few grey streaks now, were poker straight and landed gracefully to her front, giving her Mediterranean face structure. She wore glasses now. They were simple round ones with a transparent frame. She wore simple make up. Just a thin eyeliner with faux lashes that enhanced her loving blue eyes and nude lipstick along with some blush. From what Percy could see, she was wearing a beige power suit which had black squares over it. What were these type of suits called? Checked? Chequered? Whatever. Percy thought. She was smiling at him.
(Percy: Did you just write a whole paragraph describing my Mom? Me: um yes? Percy: Why? Me: because I love her and she deserves the whole world!!!! Percy: She does!! *The two of us start praising Sally)

"Hi honey! Hap-" she started but was cut off when Percy raised his index finger to his lips, motioning to be quiet. Sally immediately gave him a questioning look. Percy responded by turning the camera and showing Annabeth, peacefully asleep to his left with her left hand on his thighs (it was on his chest last night but shifted to his thighs when he sat up). Sally saw this and nodded while smiling. Sometimes Percy wondered who her child was? Him or Annabeth? Meh, whatever. "I will just go outside." He whispered very quietly. Sally nodded.

Percy gently got up, sliding Annabeth's arm off him and keeping a pillow where he was. He was almost out when he heard a groggy voice behind him saying his name. He turned around and saw Annabeth still laying there rubbing her eyes. "Did I wake you?" He asked while walking back towards the bed. She nodded while yawning. "Sorry. You can go back to sleep. Mom just video called so I will go out and talk to her." He told her as he reached her side. Annabeth looked more awake now. "Sally?" She asked. "Hey Annabeth! Good morning." His mom said from the phone. "Hey! How is the conference going?" Annabeth inquires. "It's fine. I am on my way to the hotel. Guess what? The hotel is Greek themed." She said. We chuckled. "You two slept in late today. Everything okay?" She asks. "Wait. What time is it?" Percy asks. "It's 10:17 AM right now Perce." Sally said. "Styx" they both said together. "I'm gonna go and check on Zoë and Estelle. Be right back." Percy said rushing towards the door. "I am comin-" Annabeth started but was interrupted. "No. Just rest here. You know what Will said yesterday." Percy says sternly. Annabeth sighs but sits back.