Setting It Right- Chapter One

Hello everyone!

So, we are back with a new story. It was my idea to write an Epilogue because, like Ayesha and I, I was pretty sure that many of you must have been disappointed with the show's ending, especially because the team wasn't given a few more episodes to properly close all the required loops.

Two of the personal issues that we had with the ending were that Batuk, who clearly had mental health issues, was cut off and punished without getting a chance to say his piece, while TRC, who was actually the root cause of most of the problems in the show, was whitewashed yet again.

I discussed it with Ayesha, and although she was being a lazy bum and busy bee, my persistence and tenacity plus chhota mota blackmail worked like a charm, and finally, she agreed to another Joint Venture.

So, We decided to "Set It Right" and write our version of what could have been shown if there was enough time.

The story starts 1 week after the events of the last episode, and whatever was shown in the show is canon. We may add a few FBs or anecdotes from the run of the show, which we didn't see onscreen but could definitely have happened.

We hope that you shower your love and appreciation as you showered on our previous Joint Venture as well. Do leave your comments and let us know about your views regarding our alternate ending for this show that we all loved so much!

I am going to post this story in a serial format on India Forums, while Ayesha will be posting the chapters simultaneously on her Wattpad profile.

Love you all,

Ashley and Ayesha

-------------------------

19th November 1942, Deenpur City Hospital

Anirudh stood outside the door of the hospital room still wondering if coming here was the right decision.

"Dada, uski haalat bahut kharab hai, aur baar baar bas aapko pukaar raha hai."

Som's frantic voice was still resonating in his ears when he had called him from the hospital an hour ago.

Despite all his anger, the trepidation he felt at this news was enough to make Anirudh forget everything and just rush to check on his little brother.

"Koi zarurat nahi hai wahan jaane ki. Usne khud apne saare rishte jala diye hai."

Kaka's merciless voice had tried to stop him...

It reminded him of every awful thing his brother had done to his family, and the memories were so painful, so bitter that Anirudh felt his heartbreaking all over again...followed by red, hot rage which oddly accompanied a deep sense of regret too!

He had turned into a mess because his brotherly, instinctive impulse wanted him to go to his little brother who albeit had made some mistakes, but was still someone for whom Anirudh cared and whom he loved like crazies.

But on the other hand, his "mistakes" were quite criminal, and Anirudh couldn't find enough benevolence in his heart to let go and forgive his brother so easily for torturing his wife.

However, it was Bondita's voice that echoed in his ears and served as the main deciding factor.

"Patibabu, aapko mujh mien aur Batuk mien kisi aik ko chunna nahi hai yahan, aap bejhijhak jaa sakte hai."

And now that he had finally come to the hospital, all the memories of the past one week were rearing in his head, making him feel a renewed sense of remorse, regret, guilt, and a deep sense of loss that he couldn't brush off easily.

He clenched his fists as the image of Bondita trapped in the ring of fire flashed in front of his eyes. Out of all the emotions that were consuming him, a wave of seething anger overcame him this time as he turned to leave.

However, a delirious voice in the form of a whimper and a sob caught his attention and made him stop in his tracks.

"Big D...Big D... Please...don't do this to me... I love you Big D..."

His heart slammed in his chest as hot tears pricked his eyes on hearing this.

He could recognize this voice from thousands of miles apart too.

It was a voice that was close to his soul...and etched in his heart.

It was Batuk's voice...his little brother who had been so dear to him.

He had never ignored him before...

And this time too, his brother's delirious state and his incoherent anguished words were making it extremely hard for him to stop himself from going inside that room.

Anirudh Roy Chaudhary was famous for his patience and self-control. But this time, his control just snapped as his brotherly instinct was kicking in. Somehow he couldn't find the strength, the determination to walk away!

He slowly turned and peeped into the room. Batuk was lying on the hospital bed, hooked up to a number of tubes. He was thrashing about, crying out for his 'Big D' again and again.

Anirudh's heart squeezed painfully as he watched his brother writhing in pain and calling out for him in his unconscious state.

Looking at him like this was unbearable for him. At that moment, Anirudh could not see the mad monster who kidnapped his children, locked up his family, and tried to kill his wife. Instead, all he really saw was his little brother who used to jump on his back and demand to piggyback rides, who used to fight with Bondita over sweets, and who had cried because he didn't want to leave his home and family.

Anirudh couldn't believe how his sweet little brother became this monster?

Why did he want to hurt his one-time best friend?

Anirudh knew about Batuk's dislike towards Bondita, but he had never imagined it would turn into hatred that would take this extreme malignant form!

And then, Anirudh also wanted to understand how he missed all the signs whenever he spoke to Batuk in all those eight years when he was in Italy, away from home.

How could he not see that it was nothing like a "mild dislike" or a "situational resentment" as he had believed it was?

How and when did Batuk develop such extremely negative feelings for Bondita, and how had he failed to see it?

Why hadn't he known?

The anger was now replaced by a deeper sense of guilt and Anirudh just closed his eyes tiredly as he started blaming himself for everything.

If only I had known...

If only I had anticipated ...

I would have protected Bondita better.

The painful realization hit him like bricks. Had he known about the intensity of Batuk's feelings beforehand, he could have done something or stopped him before the hatred overcame him to this extent.

He felt as if he couldn't fulfill his duties as a responsible and caring elder brother.

He wanted to cry his heart out at this absolute failure...

He wanted to leave...

But that was when Bondita's words echoed in his ears,

"Hum dono Barristers hai, kya humein koi bhi faisla karne se pehle dono paksh nahi sunne chahiye?"

No, he had to go in, he had to find out how everything went so haywire! He had to find out the whole story.

Wiping his tears and adjusting his glasses, Anirudh straightened his back as his heart and mind came to one conclusion to all his conundrums:

He needed his answers now!

Taking a deep breath, Anirudh pushed the door open and stepped inside.